+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Myth #1,
    “The stereo that measures best will sound the best”, - False

Myth #2,
    “The only way to evaluate good stereo is with a recording of live acoustic music.”, -False

Myth #3,
    “Dark Roast is the best coffee”, -True

Help me out guys.....

Russell
    Myth #4: the closer your home hi fi can come to accurately reproducing the sound musicians and the recording crew heard in the studio, the better your system is. What a load of baloney, bollocks and bullshit! What a great way to drive some innocent naive chap to paranoia and alcoholism. There is no freaking way that anyone could ever know HOW it all sounded in the recording studio, nor how it all sounded to the mixing and mastering crew while it was getting prepared for mass production. So it's the most idiotic, stupidest audiophile myth on the planet.

But wait, there's more stupid audiophile idiocies... coming soon... stay tuned... don't change the dial... I repeat, don't adjust the dial...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Myth #4: the closer your home hi fi can come to accurately reproducing the sound musicians and the recording crew heard in the studio, the better your system is. What a load of baloney, bollocks and bullshit! What a great way to drive some innocent naive chap to paranoia and alcoholism. There is no freaking way that anyone could ever know HOW it all sounded in the recording studio, nor how it all sounded to the mixing and mastering crew while it was getting prepared for mass production. So it's the most idiotic, stupidest audiophile myth on the planet.

But wait, there's more stupid audiophile idiocies... coming soon... stay tuned... don't change the dial... I repeat, don't adjust the dial...
    Nice one!

Russ

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post

What if you've actually had one of the musicians present with you when you play his album on your stereo? And he says 'That sounds like it did in the studio' or 'That sounds nothing like it did in the studio.'?

I have, and I got the latter response.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What if you've actually had one of the musicians present with you when you play his album on your stereo? And he says 'That sounds like it did in the studio' or 'That sounds nothing like it did in the studio.'?

Let's face it, most musicians are deaf after years/decades of exposure to loud music.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Pretty much given up following the convolutions of this fairly pointless thread ...

I was waiting for the 10 Audiophile Myths to be named (and the consequent busting thereof) but I'm guessing that's a lost cause
    Audiophile myth 5: hifi discussions are about matters of fundamental importance and must therefore be conducted with furrowed brows and gritted teeth.

Audiophile myth 6: it is possible to 'win' such discussions, with the result that those who disagreed with you will concede defeat, sell all their hifi, and buy exactly the same system as you own.

Audiophile myth 7: there is a clear, definite dividing line between useful accessories and foo, and everyone is capable of judging for themselves where that line should be drawn.

Audiophile myth 8: Shakespeare is boring.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Audiophile myth 6: it is possible to 'win' such discussions, with the result that those who disagreed with you will concede defeat, sell all their hifi, and buy exactly the same system as you own
    That argument holds no water. It would be almost impossible to replicate my system!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Yes, but his hearing is different to yours...he may also have been ill, or on medication, alcohol or bennys...lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm George.

Myths:

#1 Tannoys speakers are pipe and slippers False, they are one of the few speakers that can reproduce real dynamics and power.
    #2 Valves are yesterday technology False. If you want to hear music then...
    #3 Big powerful amps plus small speakers can make small-scale music sound real False, we are some way away from reproducing a simple guitar playing and as for a bass guitar with a small valve amp.
    #4 Cable quality makes no difference False

I'm Grant.

Default 10 audiophile myths busted

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Myth #1,
    “The stereo that measures best will sound the best”, - False

Myth #2,
    “The only way to evaluate good stereo is with a recording of live acoustic music.”, -False

Myth #3,
    “Dark Roast is the best coffee”, -True

Help me out guys.....

Russell
    No 3 is a real myth. Lighter coffee roast is better. More flavours
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    M
    #2 Valves are yesterday technology False. If you want to hear music then...
    ... go to a concert.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast