+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: 10 audiophile myths busted

I'm Martin.

In the right circumstance you can get an 'emotional connection' from a crappy car stereo, doing seventy with all the road noise and that.

I suppose it depends on what you define as an 'emotional response.' There are some tunes that make me nostalgic, does that count?

Personally I think the emotional connection is a given, or you wouldn't be listening to music at all. But there is also the physical and intellectual stimulus too. Isn't having a good system just about getting more of what is already good? The 12 ounce steak instead of the 6 ounce. That's how I see it anyway.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

Yeah it's crazy. It's Italian television crazy.

I'm Grant.

Maybe, but just being relatively content, Ive found, helps a lot. Chasing the dream can become tiring; well it was with me eventually. I know now what would improve what I have but also know I dont have to.
    ...and of course nostalgia is an emotion; and a good one, but we dont want that all the time. Beauty is better afaic
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Chasing the dream can become tiring; well it was with me eventually. I know now what would improve what I have but also know I dont have to.
    I have similar thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yello are a Swiss Duo whose best known track is 'The Race', which I guarantee you will have heard.
    I've probably heard it, but without knowing what it was. I always get Yello mixed up with Yazoo anyway.

I like all sorts of music, really, apart from 'free' jazz, which just sounds like people playing notes at random. I need a semblance of a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Personally I think the emotional connection is a given, or you wouldn't be listening to music at all. But there is also the physical and intellectual stimulus too. Isn't having a good system just about getting more of what is already good?
    I think it also helps 'unlock' new types of music, so you're not just limited to enjoying one genre. I'm certainly finding I appreciate solo piano more now I can follow what the left hand as well as the right hand is doing.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I think it also helps 'unlock' new types of music, so you're not just limited to enjoying one genre. I'm certainly finding I appreciate solo piano more now I can follow what the left hand as well as the right hand is doing.
    I also need a system that will make a decent fist of a wide genre. I like Bill Evans Trio and I like Wu Tang Clan. I wouldn't have a set up that could do justice to one but not the other if I could help it.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

Yeah it's crazy. It's Italian television crazy.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'm certainly finding I appreciate solo piano more now I can follow what the left hand as well as the right hand is doing.
    Have you heard piano through Lowther horns? That's an odd experience.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I quite like 'Seven Seas Of Rye'. But I'd cheerfully go back in time and strangle them all as children to prevent 'Bohemian Rhapsody.' Then bet on some sports fixtures and make millions like Biff out of 'Back To The Future - Part 2'. Could go and see Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight too. I'd just have to avoid meeting my future self. And getting caught for the child murders, obviously.
    And there I was thinking that I was the only one of two people (the second is now sadly dead) in the whole Universe who detests 'Bohemian rhapsody'!
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And there I was thinking that I was the only one of two people (the second is now sadly dead) in the whole Universe who detests 'Bohemian rhapsody'!
    Join the club!

I'm Russell.

Oh mama mia, mama mia let me go!

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast