+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MC Cartridge Recommendations For Technics SL1200GR

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I have a lovely new Technics SL1200GR turntable and am looking at MC cartridge recommendations for it. I'm currently using a Nagaoka MP-110 which sounds wonderful but as I have a nice SUT to play around with I'd like to think about a MC cartridge.

The sort of performance I am looking for is more lively and punchy than refined. I would like that boogie factor if possible that makes vinyl an enjoyable experience and is something the Technics excels at.

I have come across two recommendations to date.

The first is the good old Denon 103/103R. I'm confused about this cartridge. Some seem to say it is perfect for the Techie but then there's all the compliance mis-match stuff, adding weight, etc.

The second is the Audio Technica AT33EV/AT33PTG. I don't know much about this but my experience with AT cartridges to date has been excellent.

Any advice appreciated - I'm sticking with the stock arm BTW.

Cheers

Phil
    Here's a totally left field recommendation - the Paradox Pulse Guard DL-103R (http://www.paradoxpulse.com). I have one in my SL1210/Jelco TK850S and it is superb - especially if it's "boogy factor" you are after.
    Always a little further

Thanks again chaps. The 33PTG is going to be hard to beat on recommendation and is in the right ballpark price wise although that Pulse Guard DL-103R does sound very interesting

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Totally support this.

Others will need to comment on it's match for your arm but the 33 PTG II is just as described above. I have both the 33 and the OC9. Both are good but the 33 has the edge in delivering a shimmering, weighty performance without unpleasant side effects.

It's beaten several carts I've had at 2 or 3 times the price and once run in (30 hours min) it'll boogie all night long.
    I have the OC9 MLII, do you find it a bit too bright and a touch lean?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Hana SH.
    Make life easy by going for something with a healthy output to start with.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Bob.

Chris, your description nicely sums up my findings with the OC9 ML II, but at the time I was using it with an LP12 / Ittok II and a TriChord Diablo phono stage.

I later replaced the Linn with a Gyrodec / Technoarm A and the result wasn't a great deal different. A bit thin, no involvement or excitement and certainly not a result that had me coming back for more. It felt as if it was just going through the motions and seemed to lack "body".

I changed the Diablo to an Icon Audio PS 1 (the original, early version) and the difference was night and day. All of the good things the OC9 MLII was famous for started to come through. Next change was to a Michell Orbe SE / SME IV and this continued the good work. I had the chance of an ICON PS3 about 6 months later and went for it. Not a night and day change this time (using the OC9) but a sweeter top end response and maybe a little more attack elsewhere.

All of this makes me seem like an uncontrollable box swapper but this took place over about 15 years. Every piece of kit mentioned is really well respected and extremely capable in it's own right and I'm not knocking any of it. My only conclusion is that you can't just throw these things together and expect them to give of their best. Selective partnering is paramount.

Anyway, I rate the OC9 highly enough to have kept it rather than selling it on. I also have a lot of respect and confidence in AT cartridges generally, but perhaps they are a bit selective in who they like to play with. I think some of their more upmarket carts are appealing and I'll probably give one a go at some point, but usual rules apply.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Chris, your description nicely sums up my findings with the OC9 ML II, but at the time I was using it with an LP12 / Ittok II and a TriChord Diablo phono stage.

I later replaced the Linn with a Gyrodec / Technoarm A and the result wasn't a great deal different. A bit thin, no involvement or excitement and certainly not a result that had me coming back for more. It felt as if it was just going through the motions and seemed to lack "body".

I changed the Diablo to an Icon Audio PS 1 (the original, early version) and the difference was night and day. All of the good things the OC9 MLII was famous for started to come through. Next change was to a Michell Orbe SE / SME IV and this continued the good work. I had the chance of an ICON PS3 about 6 months later and went for it. Not a night and day change this time (using the OC9) but a sweeter top end response and maybe a little more attack elsewhere.

All of this makes me seem like an uncontrollable box swapper but this took place over about 15 years. Every piece of kit mentioned is really well respected and extremely capable in it's own right and I'm not knocking any of it. My only conclusion is that you can't just throw these things together and expect them to give of their best. Selective partnering is paramount.

Anyway, I rate the OC9 highly enough to have kept it rather than selling it on. I also have a lot of respect and confidence in AT cartridges generally, but perhaps they are a bit selective in who they like to play with. I think some of their more upmarket carts are appealing and I'll probably give one a go at some point, but usual rules apply.
    Thanks Bob, very interesting and good advice, you know I had the Trichord Diablo with the NCPSU, it never really blew my skirt up to be honest, impressive but very matter of fact.
    I'm not going to be too critical of the oc9, for the money £310 that I paid it's excellent and I will keep it, I intend to get a valve phono stage this year along with another Triode amplifier.

I've decided my next cartridge will be a Hana SL
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Hana SH.
    Make life easy by going for something with a healthy output to start with.
    Hi Chris
    I intend to get the Hana SL fairly soon.
    Chris

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Thanks Bob, very interesting and good advice, you know I had the Trichord Diablo with the NCPSU, it never really blew my skirt up to be honest, impressive but very matter of fact.
    I'm not going to be too critical of the oc9, for the money £310 that I paid it's excellent and I will keep it, I intend to get a valve phono stage this year along with another Triode amplifier.

I've decided my next cartridge will be a Hana SL
    Chris, with a good valve phono stage I suspect you're in for a game changing experience.

People that have a "33 PTG II" also speak very highly of the Hana so maybe there are some traits in common. I'd definitely do the phono stage first and see what the OC9 is trying to tell you.

Good luck with the changes. It's never easy with cart swapping.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Dave.

The Hana and AT33PTG/II have more weight, body and presence than some of the scrawny MCs out there.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Hana and AT33PTG/II have more weight, body and presence than some of the scrawny MCs out there.
    That's what I'm thinking Dave, I've got a 33EV but it's fairly worn out, loss of sparkle but it does have a lot more body and bass weight than the OC9 MLII which sounds a bit anaemic in comparison, though still impressive in terms of tracking and detail.

I have a bit of a problem with my Marantz KI Pearl lite in that the line inputs are 20k, I want to get the puresound P10 but this will not work with a 20k input I believe.

So changes needed for me this year.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast