+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    How can distortion artifacts give such a sense of space and depth? Someone convince me.
    Echo-o-o-o-o-oooo
    A little additional reverb and most things sound that little bit nicer and more spacious.

The truth is likely to be a little more complicated than that.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Audiophile myth. It may not be perfectly exact but it is exact enough that any difference is way beyond the threshold of hearing. In terms of producing the analogue waveform exactly, digital is way beyond vinyl. Orders of magnitude better.
    OK Martin I've got your point, that you have made on numerous posts before.

A digital COPY is a digital copy and is all we need for music storage given adequate bit depth.
    However it could be like saying I have xyz vinyl on my shelf, it's no good until it is reproduced on the TT.

Or it's like saying I have a digital copy of SOS in my brain, or other storage media, which is of no use unless it is transmitted or communicated to somebody else.

So analogue and digital convergence must include the replay chain in this instance, otherwise it's very difficult to hear and appreciate it.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A properly detailed sound is a product of transparency and system balance should not be a factor.
    You’re right, I should not have used the word bright, but hopefully some of you can attest to my experience that some stereos that are detailed, when you hear them you may notice new things in old recordings, but you find that you are analyzing all the music you play! Listening deeper, for more detail, taking mental notes. That is not the stereo I want to own.

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Audiophile myth. It may not be perfectly exact but it is exact enough that any difference is way beyond the threshold of hearing. In terms of producing the analogue waveform exactly, digital is way beyond vinyl. Orders of magnitude better.
    No matter how small distortions get, they are still distortions, it is a fact of life! If there were no noticeable distortions, all stereos would sound exactly the same. And they don’t.

Russell

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well, it all depends what you think you are hearing.
    Genuine recorded sounds which for some baffling reason aren't captured by digital, or analog distortion artifacts that you happen to like maybe?
    Our hearing has evolved to listen in a distorted aural environment so that is probably why we like a bit of distortion added?

If you stand in a wood on a windy day and listen to 2 birds in different positions you will still be able to judge where they are (behind, to the side or in front) even though you have lots of other noise around you distorting the sound. The brain compensates and you can make a very good assessment of the sound - millions of years of evolution to get to that point.

Introduce digital (last 40 years?) err brain cannot compute. Alien sound which hearing/brain has not evolved yet to compensate for digital waveform. Yes you can hear a sound but it is not natural analogue so still doesn't sound right.

THE CLOSER DIGITAL GETS TO ANALOGUE THE BETTER IT WILL SOUND. Simple

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Introduce digital (last 40 years?) err brain cannot compute. Alien sound which hearing/brain has not evolved yet to compensate for digital waveform. Yes you can hear a sound but it is not natural analogue so still doesn't sound right.
    But we don't listen to 'digital' sound. What comes out of the speakers is pure analogue.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    But we don't listen to 'digital' sound. What comes out of the speakers is pure analogue.
    No it is a digitised version of the analogue waveform. Yes what comes out of our speakers is analogue but it is reconstructed analogue via a DAC.

I'm Russell.

I know this will start a fight!

Back when Digital was first coming around, it seems to me I read some articles about adding dither. Anyone else remember that? Do modern digital converters add dither anymore? I’m not even exact on what dither was? It was a long time ago. But basically, they added noise to Digital playback to make it sound more natural. Please, correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not even sure what it has to do with the thread? But it’s interesting.

Russell

I'm Grant.

Default Good analog and good digital converge?

Dither is adding white noise. Its used usually when you reduce high bit to lower bit recordings, as you get truncation errors which can patternise and become audible and annoying, so dither breaks them up
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

That wouldn't be a way of adding distortion to digital would it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast