+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Good analog and good digital converge?

I'm Russell.

If there was a studio in the next room, and wires directly from the mic preamps came directly into your room and into your stereo, would you be able to tell if it was live or recorded? Maybe? Maybe not? ďIs it live, or is it Memorex?Ē, was the old commercials, doing that exact test. Ella would sing a high C and break a wine glass, and the tape would do the same! Not necessarily proving it sounds good? Iíve got a Screaming for Vengeance remaster that if you told me the wires came live from the studio next door, Iíd believe you! Itís just like setting in the studio, as many here have done. But itís all amplified music, except the vocals of course, and there are vocals on that album! Vinyl, of course.

But it is easy to see on a scope that the signal coming out does not match the signal going in. Harmonic distortions, crossover distortions, etc., etc., and then there is Digital. You take the waveform and chop it into tens of thousands of pieces, and assign a number to it. Then taking those numbers, try to put it back together. And like dragging a rock around in a groove, it really is amazing that it works at all! And doesnít sound like a squealing siren. So, you stitch the square waves back together and it looks like stair cases going up and down, so a filter smooths the edges off until it resembles an analog waveform. Youíve got a nice smooth waveform that sounds great! But, it is not an exact match of the signal that went in. Due to averaging, itís a very close approximation, but not exact.

The thing about our flawed ears, is that we use the same pair for most of our lives. So however weird the sound is once it reaches the brain, itís what we are used to hearing. So a violin sounds like a violin, and a trumpet sounds like a trumpet.

Russell

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    If there was a studio in the next room, and wires directly from the mic preamps came directly into your room and into your stereo, would you be able to tell if it was live or recorded? Maybe? Maybe not? “Is it live, or is it Memorex?”, was the old commercials, doing that exact test. Ella would sing a high C and break a wine glass, and the tape would do the same! Not necessarily proving it sounds good? I’ve got a Screaming for Vengeance remaster that if you told me the wires came live from the studio next door, I’d believe you! It’s just like setting in the studio, as many here have done. But it’s all amplified music, except the vocals of course, and there are vocals on that album! Vinyl, of course.

But it is easy to see on a scope that the signal coming out does not match the signal going in. Harmonic distortions, crossover distortions, etc., etc., and then there is Digital. You take the waveform and chop it into tens of thousands of pieces, and assign a number to it. Then taking those numbers, try to put it back together. And like dragging a rock around in a groove, it really is amazing that it works at all! And doesn’t sound like a squealing siren. So, you stitch the square waves back together and it looks like stair cases going up and down, so a filter smooths the edges off until it resembles an analog waveform. You’ve got a nice smooth waveform that sounds great! But, it is not an exact match of the signal that went in. Due to averaging, it’s a very close approximation, but not exact.

The thing about our flawed ears, is that we use the same pair for most of our lives. So however weird the sound is once it reaches the brain, it’s what we are used to hearing. So a violin sounds like a violin, and a trumpet sounds like a trumpet.

Russell
    One's ears are not an oscilloscope fortunately.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    One's ears are not an oscilloscope fortunately.
    Yes it is. Iíve heard very bright, overly detailed stereos before, and itís quite interesting at first, hearing many fine details. But I find that I grow tired of it quickly, I much before a warmer presentation, which most call colored. Distortion is just a part of life, there will never be audio playback without it.

Russell

I'm Martin.

But it is easy to see on a scope that the signal coming out does not match the signal going in. Harmonic distortions, crossover distortions, etc., etc., and then there is Digital. You take the waveform and chop it into tens of thousands of pieces, and assign a number to it. Then taking those numbers, try to put it back together. And like dragging a rock around in a groove, it really is amazing that it works at all! And doesn’t sound like a squealing siren. So, you stitch the square waves back together and it looks like stair cases going up and down, so a filter smooths the edges off until it resembles an analog waveform. You’ve got a nice smooth waveform that sounds great! But, it is not an exact match of the signal that went in. Due to averaging, it’s a very close approximation, but not exact.
    l
    Audiophile myth. It may not be perfectly exact but it is exact enough that any difference is way beyond the threshold of hearing. In terms of producing the analogue waveform exactly, digital is way beyond vinyl. Orders of magnitude better.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm James.

Wrong, wrong , wrong.

I'm Geoff.

Yes it is. I’ve heard very bright, overly detailed stereos before, and it’s quite interesting at first, hearing many fine details. But I find that I grow tired of it quickly, I much before a warmer presentation, which most call colored. Distortion is just a part of life, there will never be audio playback without it.

Russell
    A properly detailed sound is a product of transparency and system balance should not be a factor.

I'm Alan.

Fight fight fight

Just jesting but James is correct.' Way beyond the threshold of hearing' is just so optimistic.

I've yet to hear a digital system that gives the same spacial information you can get from vinyl and I've heard some of the best.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Fight fight fight

Just jesting but James is correct.' Way beyond the threshold of hearing' is just so optimistic.

I've yet to hear a digital system that gives the same spacial information you can get from vinyl and I've heard some of the best.
    But you making assumptions about the reasons for that which are incorrect. We are not arguing about the outcome (i.e 'the listening') it is the reasons for the outcome where there is disagreement.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Jerry.

Well, it all depends what you think you are hearing.
    Genuine recorded sounds which for some baffling reason aren't captured by digital, or analog distortion artifacts that you happen to like maybe?
    Jerry

Qobuz 16/44 streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

Headphones: Fostex TH600, Audeze EL-8, Wharfedale Isodynamic, Philips Fidelio X2
    Headphone amp: Rotel RX-603

I'm Alan.

You've lost me there Martin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast