+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent visit to Firebottle Villa

I'm Steve.

Default Recent visit to Firebottle Villa

Hi all
    Just a few lines on my recent visit to the Firebottle Residence,

I set off on the Friday to give myself an early start on the Saturday knowing I was also going to Oliver’s (Bigman80) as well, just as well really, I ended up stuck in traffic for 5 hours Grrrr.

When I arrived at Alan’s I was greeted with a firm handshake and a warm welcome, we got straight down to unloading my car of its contents ( my own hifi ) and then a coffee before setting up my system.

My aim was to listen to both systems with a view to replacing my amp ( Rega Brio 2017 ) for Alans Mono Blocks or a full on valve amp.

As I walked into the living room music was already playing and what I saw surprised me, hanging from the ceiling was a pair of Quad Esl 57s, inverted and with a Super Tweeter mounted on top. Very different but somehow sounded spot on!!!
    Lenco GL75 stock I believe with an Zyx r100 another sweet combination

We listened for a while going through lots of Vinyl before hooking up my Dynaudio Emit M20s. boy was I surprised, they sounded fantastic with Alans amps, We then hooked them up to the Rega Brio 2017 and again I was pleasantly surprise as it sounded so much better in Alans house ( must be room acoustics ) than my house. My guessing is there was no wall behind the speakers in Alan’s house but there is at mine.

Then it was time to pop over to see Oliver (Bigman80). I will start off saying what I said to the big man himself …. He has a turntable arm and cart I would give my right arm for the synergy it produces is to die for, I’m sure he thinks the same, with good reason As for the Pioneer speakers he has GREAT!!!! No substitute for 12 inches.
    I also got the chance to listen to a track or two using his own interconnects, I was in mid conversation with Alan and abruptly stopped talking, the vocalist on the track he was playing was in the room just hanging in front of us. Gotta try them on my system!!! Long waiting list I believe???

Where to go from here regarding my own system upgrade, well I have lots to think about so will take my time and not rush into making the same mistake I have made in the past.

Would just like to thank Alan and Oliver for the help, info and honest constructive comments.
    Oh and thanks Alan for upgrading my Schitt Mani sounds much better with moving coil now !!!

Steve...

P>S> Thanks for the lunch
    Last edited by STD305M; 05-04-2018 at 15:34.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Great to meet you Steve. Your observations about the room trapping some bass are currently being acted on with a DIY bass trap and some of the foam(?) Currently residing under the speakers. It's shifted the bass into a more natural position between the speakers and really reduced the Boom I had. It's been a revelation!

I'm Phil.

thanks for the write up, love those speakers and very nearly bought those pioneers !!! hopefully ollie is keeping them perhaps !!

2hzsd2r by , on Flickr

eec72f99c32f5a23f60f03e473952f96 (1) by , on Flickr

hope you don`t mind me putting in pics
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    thanks for the write up, love those speakers and very nearly bought those pioneers !!! hopefully ollie is keeping them perhaps !!

2hzsd2r by , on Flickr

eec72f99c32f5a23f60f03e473952f96 (1) by , on Flickr

hope you don`t mind me putting in pics
    Not at all! Share away!!

Yes, keeping the speakers. I love them.

I'm Steve.

I wish i had the space for some Esl 57 speakers, truly outstanding but i think i would prefer Olivers turntable
    NO,,, I WANT BOTH!!!!

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Steve.

I wish you every success Oliver, hope you get there
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Alan.

Default Some pictures from the visit.

The Dynaudio Emit M20, superb sounding speakers with really good low bass for the size of them, I was well impressed.

The Rega Brio with an MC head amp on top, giving a sterling performance.

The Schitt Mani phono stage, smaller than I expected in the flesh. I changed the 47 ohm MC loading resistors (Schitt shot in foot IMO) for 100 ohm hence Steve's positive comment.

The lash up whilst testing:

The 'experimental' packing foam under Oliver's speakers :

Bigman80 Guest

that foam

I have proper bits on now. Quite the sonic improvement.

A pic for Steve

I'm Steve.

Such a sexy turntable mate
    want one
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Such a sexy turntable mate
    want one
    Without Phonomacs help, this dream of owning an SP10 MK2, wouldn't have been possible for a long time. He's worth talking to of you want to buy one. There isn't anything about them that he doesn't know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast