+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my new amp J.Wood KT88 :)

I'm jamie.

Default my new amp J.Wood KT88 :)

I been thinking of late about upgrading from my Sony 700es amp,im happy with the TT set up and cd player so temptation was beginning to creep in.
    Croft amps kept springing to mind and ebay searches but as ive never heard anything valve before i was a little concerned that they might not drive my Yamaha ns1000's well.

Time went buy and i begun to question if i really needed to bother,the sony is a very good amp and i felt it wasn't lacking anywhere in particular.

Then on Saturday i noticed in the private exhibitions thread a John Wood KT88 amp for sale.
    Hmmm i thought the seller is not far away and i could hear how it sounds
    I made contact and arranged to view the amp on Sunday.

Well i have to say i had a lovely time hearing the amp,thanks again Nick,i also heard how it compared to a McIntosh MA7000 beast of an amp and there really was not much in it.
    It was one of those,oh what the hell moments where you worry about the cost and can i afford it? later lol.
    When it became time to lift it to the car i was shocked to feel how bloody heavy this amp is! Its bloody heavy,so much so 2 of us carried it to my car

So after driving very carefully back to Brighton with it i kissed my 2 lower vertebra good bye and lifted it up 2 flights of stairs.

With it all rather quickly plumbed in i sat back and heard it through my speakers for the first time,within seconds i knew id done the right thing in buying it,it sounds absolutely, stunning,more bass,more grip on the bass,better top end in fact just better everywhere,i really dont know how to describe it better than by saying a veil has been lifted away from the speakers,i know i know its an old saying but its true in this case!

I think the warm natured sound of valves compliments the metal mid and tweeters of the yammys very well.At the moment i just cant stop listening to it.film soundtracks like dances with wolves or gladiator sound spectacular,you just get immersed in the whole musical experience.

So to recap,am i happy? Hell yes i am!!

Last edited by karma67; 19-04-2018 at 15:45.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Congrats on your purchase Jamie,
    Although [and I am sure you will agree ] there is a notable absence of bling on these amps, there's a lot of good stuff under the hood, where it matters.
    Good luck with it.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    I been thinking of late about upgrading from my Sony 700es amp,im happy with the TT set up and cd player so temptation was beginning to creep in.
    Croft amps kept springing to mind and ebay searches but as ive never heard anything valve before i was a little concerned that they might not drive my Yamaha ns1000's well.

Time went buy and i begun to question if i really needed to bother,the sony is a very good amp and i felt it wasn't lacking anywhere in particular.

Then on Saturday i noticed in the private exhibitions thread a John Wood KT88 amp for sale.
    Hmmm i thought the seller is not far away and i could hear how it sounds
    I made contact and arranged to view the amp on Sunday.

Well i have to say i had a lovely time hearing the amp,thanks again Nick,i also heard how it compared to a McIntosh MA7000 beast of an amp and there really was not much in it.
    It was one of those,oh what the hell moments where you worry about the cost and can i afford it? later lol.
    When it became time to lift it to the car i was shocked to feel how bloody heavy this amp is! Its bloody heavy,so much so 2 of us carried it to my car

So after driving very carefully back to Brighton with it i kissed my 2 lower vertebra good bye and lifted it up 2 flights of stairs.

With it all rather quickly plumbed in i sat back and heard it through my speakers for the first time,within seconds i knew id done the right thing in buying it,it sounds absolutely, stunning,more bass,more grip on the bass,better top end in fact just better everywhere,i really dont know how to describe it better than by saying a veil has been lifted away from the speakers,i know i know its an old saying but its true in this case!

I think the warm natured sound of valves compliments the metal mid and tweeters of the yammys very well.At the moment i just cant stop listening to it.film soundtracks like dances with wolves or gladiator sound spectacular,you just get immersed in the whole musical experience.

So to recap,am i happy? Hell yes i am!!

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks like the money has been spent where it matters, which is all that counts at the end of the day. Glad you are happy with it Jamie. I have a couple of early WAD amps that look similar but sound very well.

It’s the quality of the parts and particularly the iron that make the difference!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Really pleased to hear you loving the valves. There's just something right about what they do, even in cheaper Amps. The fluidity of the valve amp I loaned is what made me move to the FB-Monos. Whilst not fully valve (Hybrid), they offer a lot of what i like.

Well done mate.

I'm Martin.

You're in better shape than me if you could lug that beggar up two flights of stairs.

Thought you would eventually get round to swapping something else in for that Sony.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Yay - brilliant result,
    Well done, Jamie - who needs 2 lower vertebrae, anyway?

I'm Geoff.

Jamie,

congratulations on your new purchase and for the muckiest mains plug of the year award!

I also like how you have tapped the valves into the central heating system.

Geoff

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Jamie,

congratulations on your new purchase and for the muckiest mains plug of the year award!

I also like how you have tapped the valves into the central heating system.

Geoff
    ha ha that is for the side lamp,trust me all the plugs that matter are spotless inside,i spent a few hrs i wont get back cleaning them as well as the ancient olson mains block.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    ha ha that is for the side lamp,trust me all the plugs that matter are spotless inside,i spent a few hrs i wont get back cleaning them as well as the ancient olson mains block.
    You have a lamp plugged into the same distribution board as the hi-fi? Man, even I wouldn't do that. That plug really is minging. Good spot that man.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You have a lamp plugged into the same distribution board as the hi-fi? Man, even I wouldn't do that. That plug really is minging. Good spot that man.
    So the money spent on my big 4k monitor was worthwhile after all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast