+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sspeaker slut...speaker ideas.....

I'm Steve.

Talking Sspeaker slut...speaker ideas.....

As a person who has had many many MANY speakers over the years I still like to chop and change reasonably regularly but seem to be caught up in an audionote/ living voice type cycle that I can't break.i have a tendency to like Reasonably Efficient conventional boxes that give a pleasant presentation.
    So..I'm looking for ideas to try something different and a bit of a description of what to expect/ limitations etc.
    Budget is around £1k used.
    I've never owned electrostatics but I listen to electronic music and I'm.not sure how they'd fare. I use an 18w SE audionote integrated so haven't got huge amounts of power to play with...oh and I live in a pre war semi so my living room is all fire place and alcoves..

Speaker slut thanks in advance

I'm Chris.

Hi Steve
    David Blackmer founder of DBX in this video refers to the difficulty we have in hearing if the speaker is good already, actual speaker distortion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71NrNMx2rU

It can though be heard, and it will manifest as slightly less of the speaker disappearing.
    I have a soft spot for 4 types of loudspeaker which are gale 401a , JR149 with monacor TC135 drivers replacing B110 , Acoustic Research AR7
    and ESL57 each have certain virtues with appropriate amplification.

However each are getting elderly and will need TLC , of those the AR7 is a really good all rounder offering amazing bass response for such a small cabinet.
    If searching for the AR7 try to find a pair either with original cloth surrounds or rubber surrounds as mine are. My advice though is the Kef Cresta with
    its rear port extended some 400 mm, with a piece of appropriate cardboard- a kitchen wrap roll happens to work well.
    The Kef gets the listening height sorted and i think will be good for your living space.

Pictured is the AR7 with rubber surround, the infamous Gale 401a , and Jr149 with monacor TC135
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 25-10-2019 at 10:04.

I'm Chris.

Townshend Glastonburys? If you could ever find some-I've not seen any in years (so THIS is a useful tip, huh?)
    Chris.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    I've never owned electrostatics but I listen to electronic music and I'm.not sure how they'd fare.
    Surprisingly well if setup correctly with amp and subwoofer. Not thumping bass stuff so much but I hear nuances within electronic music that I've never heard on any conventional speaker or even headphones. Hi-rez well produced stuff can be magical with Quad electrostats but the likes of Martin Logan (and I'm sure others) do a great job too.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Geoff.

As a person who has had many many MANY speakers over the years I still like to chop and change reasonably regularly but seem to be caught up in an audionote/ living voice type cycle that I can't break.i have a tendency to like Reasonably Efficient conventional boxes that give a pleasant presentation.
    So..I'm looking for ideas to try something different and a bit of a description of what to expect/ limitations etc.
    Budget is around £1k used.
    I've never owned electrostatics but I listen to electronic music and I'm.not sure how they'd fare. I use an 18w SE audionote integrated so haven't got huge amounts of power to play with...oh and I live in a pre war semi so my living room is all fire place and alcoves..

Speaker slut thanks in advance
    You might want to give these a look https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-loudspeaker-0

I'm Ian.

Have you thought about full-range drivers? I have built a series of speakers using Jordan Eikona drivers - point source, stop start on a sixpence and superb imaging. You could start with one pair in a VTL cabinet and if your woodworking skills prevent you from building your own BK Electronics do kits. I've worked up to 4 pairs of drivers in transmission line cabinets, the main benefit being stronger bass response but the VTL's go surprisingly deep.

http://www.bkelec.com/Jordan/Eikona_VTL_Finish.htm

http://www.bkelec.com/Jordan/Eikona_VTL.htm

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/products/diy-plans/

I have the four driver TL's and a single driver version at home if you fancy a trip for a listen.

I'm Peter.

Hi Steve.

Actually, it's quite a challenge to suggest something you haven't tried already. Seem to remember you've already had smaller Tannoys (Kensington or similar), which would be my suggestion.

In your room I can't see any way you could accomodate electrostats ... as firing down the long dimension wouldn't be possible without evicting the furniture ... and probably the family, too.

Last time I visited, I remember thinking that maybe omni-directional speakers might work in that room. Your amp wouldn't drive Shahinians though. Duevels are similar, but both are probably over budget. Don't know any other omni's, but maybe something out there?

I really like Ian's suggestion. Anyone else got any experience of those? I suspect they'd have the transparency you like, and still have enough woomph to get you dancing ... which is probably not an image I should have put in people's heads

I'm Rohan.

I know someone who has a set of Duevel Planets he is offloading. Great compact omnidirectional with surprising bass extension...

I'm Steve.

Ok, update. I've gone for a pair of Heco Direkts. Bigger in the flesh than I thought, so Im just getting used to how they look. Also, im not used to the sort of scale and composure thst these have!

I'm matt.

Ok, update. I've gone for a pair of Heco Direkts. Bigger in the flesh than I thought, so Im just getting used to how they look. Also, im not used to the sort of scale and composure thst these have!
    Interesting choice. Let us know what you think in comparison to Audionote/Living voice?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast