+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Headphone amps, are they bollocks?

I'm Steve.

I wasn't convinced of the value of headphone amps until a) I bought my HD800s and b) my Chord Mojo turned up. Now I don't have to listen without because its totally portable.

That said, some devices have half decent output stages, and some headphones are very easy to drive.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Michael.

I used to have a Heed Canamp until I was offered a straight swap for a DarkVoice 337SE valve headphone amp.
    The former was good with my HD580s but the replacement is just amazing. It is a big heavy beast mind.

I'm martin.

I have a Lehmann HPA I use with my sennys and sony phones, i need a HPA because my Moon amp has no headphone output, so without one I'm knackered.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Grant.

My smsl is superb headphone amp and dac. Used for several hrs a day with mr oppos
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I have two sets of Stax headphones and energisers. They sound great, but aren't that comfortable to wear for long stretches.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Had one. Didn't like it.
    Also have Senn HD600 and have to say didn't get on with the Capella either - only had it for a short time though.

In response to your original point, I haven't found a hard and fast rule so far with the 600:

Not at all bad with a self-build CMOY HPA - definitely very good VFM in terms of sound quality.
    Not impressed with the direct output from a Quad 405-2 via an (old) QED MA30 switching unit.
    Worked very well with a Musical Fidelity V-Can 2 HPA - very well indeed.
    Not impressed with the built in outputs of a Teac integrated or a Q-DAC.
    Brilliant with my current integrated (a Quad Vena)

Edited to add - best so far without a doubt is an RPi with IQAudio DAC+ output.
    Last edited by mikmas; 19-07-2018 at 20:53.

I'm Geoff.

I remember when a decent integrated included a phono stage and headphone amp. Now we pay separately for them because they're not included anynore. The world's gone mad I tell ya!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; SME IV; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek integrated amplifier; SBT; Technics sh-x1000 DAC; Yamaha NS1000M.
    System 2 - SBT; Kinshaw Perception DAC; Denon PMA850 integrated; Kef Reference 103.
    System 3 - Taken over by my son! Chromecast; Beresford Caiman II; Klark Teknik Jade 1 active studio monitors.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I remember when a decent integrated included a phono stage and headphone amp. Now we pay separately for them because they're not included anynore. The world's gone mad I tell ya!
    Yes. Some of the better seventies and eighties Japanese integrated amps had surprisingly decent sounding heaphone outputs (and phono stages).

I'm Ian.

I use a Creek OBH11-SE headphone amp, it feeds my HD600 and HD650 very well, really nice, rich sound. The only slight quibble if I had to find one is the power supply is quite a lump but who cares when it's tucked out of the way.
    My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/Musical Fidelity X DAC/Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Musical Fidelity A3, Nakamichi CA-5E pre amp, Acoustic Solutions FM/DAB tuner, Mordaunt Short Signifer, Klotz MC5000/MS audio, NVA LS5

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    They didnít include a headphone amp, just a couple of big resistors leading to a headphone socket, which is incidentally why dedicated units sound better due to a lower output impedance.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast