+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD low cost but decent DAC

I'm Bob.

Default WTD low cost but decent DAC

OK looks like I have a few pennies spare (Not a fortune though) and Richer Sounds are doing the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 in black for £129.

Anyone got anything else for sale that sounds good, but at a lower price than that.

Initially it will go into my Quad 405/33.

I can travel a few miles around the Fenland area, alternatively I am often in the Heathrow and London area and points in between.

I will consider anything?

I'm Mike.

Take a look around for a Beresford.
    Should be a few 2nd hand around
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Alan.

You could go with the Xiang Sheng Dac 01A that is available for under 100 notes and gives a very good account of itself.

I'm Geoff.

I have a Musical Fidelity V-Dac in excellent condition. Could do for £70 including delivery. Excellent sound

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You could go with the Xiang Sheng Dac 01A that is available for under 100 notes and gives a very good account of itself.
    +1

An amazing DAC imo.
    It's horses for courses, as usual, and all a matter of opinion, but imho I've not heard a better DAC and I've owned loads up to £3k rrp.

There was a seller in Belgium, but he seems to have run out of stock.
    Here's the cheapest atm on eBay from China https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XiangShen...wAAOSwtXBauKi8
    You can get them in black as well.

It's got a very decent headphone amp as well, but probably best to run it without the pre-amp section (internal jumpers and it arrives without the preamp setting on).

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    It's horses for courses, as usual, and all a matter of opinion, but imho I've not heard a better DAC and I've owned loads up to £3k rrp.
    You've not been listening to the right DACs then Jerry, but my current one is £2K new
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You've not been listening to the right DACs then Jerry, but my current one is £2K new

More than enough.
    The XS is a DAC-for-life as far as I am concerned.
    I moved my first one on, and spent silly money on well-reviewed DACs that don't hold a candle to the XS for me.

Wattya got, then?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

More than enough.
    The XS is a DAC-for-life as far as I am concerned.
    I moved my first one on, and spent silly money on well-reviewed DACs that don't hold a candle to the XS for me.

Wattya got, then?
    Jerry, I do have a suspicion that some of these XS aren't all equal. I'm inclined to believe that yours is excellent but the one I heard was glassy and to be honest, very fatiguing. That one happened to be Al's.

I recently picked up a M2TECH Young and it is much much better than the XS of Alan's.

I also read there are different Circuit boards in the 01 DAC range too. I think they are a bit of a lottery.

I'm gone.

Interesting.
    Fair enough.
    I've had two now, both with the same sonic signature.
    Perhaps I like 'glassy', although I would call it classy!

I've had a Young. It didn't stay long.

I'm Alan.

I've now got a Bel Canto Dac3 plumbed in. In comparison the XS is splashy in the treble and ill defined in the bass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast