Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Nikolaj.

Default Wanted Audio Note IO

I would like to buy a Audio Note Io Cartridge
    Preferably an Io Gold, but the other versions could also be interresting
    Best Regards Nikolaj,

My gear:
    Analog- Kuzma Stabi R, Kuzma 4point11, Audio Note IOII, EAR 324.
    Digital- Auralic Altair G1.
    Amplifiers- Audio Music AM805S, Bent Audio AVC-1 with Silver AVC’s.
    Speakers- Cube Audio Magus.
    Cables Rca- Audio Note AN-V, Bastanis, and some DIY.
    Speaker Cables- Ortofon Reference.
    Power Cables- DIY
    Power Conditioner- PS audio P5

I'm Ritchie.

Hi

I have a couple of IO carts currently undergoing restoration through a well respected technician...he would laugh at that one

The first is a more recent Kondo IO-J.
    The second is a wonderful, early IO-LTD with rare battery power supply and custom made loom (by the said technician) for your tonearm.

If of interest please let me know. Both will be sold as having undergone a full rebuild.

I'm Jonathan.

Hi, it’s an old thread I know.. but hopefully not quite dead.
    I have an old kondo cartridge-bought from a friend. It could do with a retip/rebuild...maybe the suspension has gone a bit. I emailed kondo in Japan and they quoted £2000 for a rebuild and £3000 if I get it re silvered. A lot of money but I would effectively be getting a new io back fir £3000. However it has an aluminium cantilever and I cannot believe that this is the best solution- things have moved on in 20 plus years, boron etc. Where did you get your kondo’s rebuilt? I was looking at soundsmith in USA as they gave good reviews and are well thought of.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog-n-Oatcakes View Post
    Hi

I have a couple of IO carts currently undergoing restoration through a well respected technician...he would laugh at that one

The first is a more recent Kondo IO-J.
    The second is a wonderful, early IO-LTD with rare battery power supply and custom made loom (by the said technician) for your tonearm.

If of interest please let me know. Both will be sold as having undergone a full rebuild.

I'm Nige.

Hi,

If your still selling the Io-J, please let me know.

Thanks.

N

I'm Nikolaj.

Thank’s Ritchie

Two very nice carts you have,
    But i would prefere a original rebuild at AN UK or Kondo
    Best Regards Nikolaj,

My gear:
    Analog- Kuzma Stabi R, Kuzma 4point11, Audio Note IOII, EAR 324.
    Digital- Auralic Altair G1.
    Amplifiers- Audio Music AM805S, Bent Audio AVC-1 with Silver AVC’s.
    Speakers- Cube Audio Magus.
    Cables Rca- Audio Note AN-V, Bastanis, and some DIY.
    Speaker Cables- Ortofon Reference.
    Power Cables- DIY
    Power Conditioner- PS audio P5

I'm Retief.

Default Wanted Audio Note IO

There is an IO gold on a certain auction site. Somewhat old in years, but low mileage. With the relative low rebuild cost by IO a relatively low risk purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Mike.

Not that Ive been looking....
    There have been two Golds listed recently.
    One on that auction site, resisted as they muddled its description. This an older type and from memory has a VdH diamond.
    (Rebuilds are reasonable so this could still be an OK price.)
    The other on a UK hifi sale site which was much newer- but I think this may have now sold.
    There were some at a Danish Audio Consultancy but I have no idea about these anymore.
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    There is an IO gold on a certain auction site. Somewhat old in years, but low mileage. With the relative low rebuild cost by IO a relatively low risk purchase?
    Rebuild of mine at Audio Note cost me £650 (to Io2 level)... was a few years ago but I'm sure still very affordable I imagine. They don't rebuild it as I understand it, they keep the body and the magnets and replace the cantilever/coil assembly.

Should be possible to pick up an old Japanese one with the flying leads needing a retip for £800 or so if you can track one down.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Bear in mind you will need a special step-up transformer for an Io cartridge. The turns ratio needs to be between about 1:80 and 1:100. It's probably impossible to get a decent signal-to-noise ratio without the right transformer.
    In my view this is the biggest issue. The output is 0.05mv which is tiny. The AN-S2 is affordable but not that great sounding/not really up to the level of the cartridge's performance. You really want an AN-S4 at a minimum to get the best out of it. (£4k new, £2k second hand).

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Rebuild of mine at Audio Note cost me £650 (to Io2 level)... was a few years ago but I'm sure still very affordable I imagine. They don't rebuild it as I understand it, they keep the body and the magnets and replace the cantilever/coil assembly.

Should be possible to pick up an old Japanese one with the flying leads needing a retip for £800 or so if you can track one down.

In my view this is the biggest issue. The output is 0.05mv which is tiny. The AN-S2 is affordable but not that great sounding/not really up to the level of the cartridge's performance. You really want an AN-S4 at a minimum to get the best out of it. (£4k new, £2k second hand).
    A friend of mine has an IO rebuilt by Northwest Analogue and is very happy with it, he's still using the Audio innovations series 1000 SUT, is the AN-S2 the current equivalent?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    A friend of mine has an IO rebuilt by Northwest Analogue and is very happy with it, he's still using the Audio innovations series 1000 SUT, is the AN-S2 the current equivalent?
    There are several flavours of the AN-S2, the one I tried with my Io (at the same time as the AN-S4L and Kondo-built AN-S6c) was the AN-S2L (like the others this has a high turns ratio of about 1:70 IIRC, for use with 1 ohm cartridges like the Io). While the AN-S4L and AN-S6c were reasonably close in performance, I though the AN-S2L was well adrift.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast