+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 & 401 platters, interchangeable?

I'm Andrew.

Default Garrard 301 & 401 platters, interchangeable?

Can you use a 401 platter on a 301 deck?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm mark.

Yes, I checked the other day when there was a 301 with 401 platter fs, forgot to check if the 301 fitted 401, although from memory they don’t.

The 301 platter was couple of hundred grams heavier, but is less machined

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Mark, there is the possiblity of a new platter in development for the 301, very very very early stages but I'll pass this information on and it may push the developer into action.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Andy

I have both a 301 and a 401 running side by side. Both of my platters have strobe cut sides and look identical at first glance. (although I have never actually compared them in detail with your original question in mind) My understanding is that the 301 was originally shipped with a plain sided painted black platter (which I actually prefer the look of) The Strobe platter was available from Garrard as either an option or as an optional extra, not sure which.

So assuming my 301 strobe platter is the original platter supplied with my 301 (LOL it could of course be a 401 platter swopped out years ago before I owned it) then I am quite happy to take both off and undertake a more detailed inspection, but that will have to wait until weekend.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Andy

I have both a 301 and a 401 running side by side. Both of my platters have strobe cut sides and look identical at first glance. (although I have never actually compared them in detail with your original question in mind) My understanding is that the 301 was originally shipped with a plain sided painted black platter (which I actually prefer the look of) The Strobe platter was available from Garrard as either an option or as an optional extra, not sure which.

So assuming my 301 strobe platter is the original platter supplied with my 301 (LOL it could of course be a 401 platter swopped out years ago before I owned it) then I am quite happy to take both off and undertake a more detailed inspection, but that will have to wait until weekend.

Andy
    yes please !
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm mark.

The 401 platter has a machined recess in the top, probably accounting for the reduced weight from the same casting.
    The strobe platter was an option for the 301, I’d give my high teeth for a smooth grey one :-)

I’m sure your aware of the CTC one, 7mm oversize, £1k with a bearing .

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Ok I have had a look Andy

As noted by Mark above the 401 has an indent in the top where the metal part of the slipmat sits to give a level platter mat.

In my case the 301 platter weighs maybe a 1/4 of a kilo heavier than the 401 party due to the previously mention machined top and also the platters have clearly been "balanced" at Garrard my 401 has 6 small holes drilled around the bottom skirt to remove material, the 301 just has just 1 of these machined holes. (I have nothing more accurate than bathroom scales to weigh the platters unfortunately)

I swopped platters around and both worked ok on the other table. I did not do any listening to determine whether the sound changed though.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Andrew.

That's great thanks for your time and effort I'll pass that information on.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post

I’m sure your aware of the CTC one, 7mm oversize, £1k with a bearing .
    Yes, nicked idea from Shindo. It cost's nowhere near £1K to produce a platter. A classic example of stupid prices being paid. I'll take my chances with this potential new product.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Can you use a 401 platter on a 301 deck?
    Have you asked AudioGrail? I would have thought if anyone can answer your question it would be him.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast