+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Arrivals.... RFC Corner 'Rutland' Cabinets incorporating Tannoy 12” Monitor Gold

I'm Charlie.

Adam, what power amp are you running in the end? Did you change amp as you mentioned you planned to do in your first post?

I see that your profile still refers to the WAD 300b Power modded (and I think I can spot it on the bottom left in the photos), but Tom mentioned a STA25 Mk5 Radford Revival (which I think I can spot that in the bottom right of the photos (unless Tom also brought his Mk3 along?)).

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistry View Post
    Adam, what power amp are you running in the end? Did you change amp as you mentioned you planned to do in your first post?

I see that your profile still refers to the WAD 300b Power modded (and I think I can spot it on the bottom left in the photos), but Tom mentioned a STA25 Mk5 Radford Revival (which I think I can spot that in the bottom right of the photos (unless Tom also brought his Mk3 along?)).
    I currently have a Radford STA25 MK5 on loan which works exceptionally well. The AD Audio KT120 Monos didn't work in that room with those speakers as well and my 300b, which btw, is a magnificent amplifier is away being fettled...but prior to the new Ported Rutland cabinets, the 300b didn't have the bass with the Tannoys 12''MGs.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Charlie.

Interesting! Yes, the Radford amps seem to be a lovely match - trying to sort one (in some form or another!) myself!

What was wrong with the AD Audio KT120 monos? Certainly not lacking for power!

I'm Adam.

Interesting! Yes, the Radford amps seem to be a lovely match - trying to sort one (in some form or another!) myself!

What was wrong with the AD Audio KT120 monos? Certainly not lacking for power!
    Damping factor, apparently. The bass with this amp using these new speaker cabinets once ported, was too much in my smallish living room. I've had the KT120 on other speakers and they were incredible. The Radford has a good balance with these speakers.
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 28-03-2018 at 20:32.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Justin.

CI have really been looking for an EAR Yoshino 868PL (in fact getting scammed out of a tidy sum of money when trying to buy one which it looks like I am unlikely to get back), but they are few and far between and very expensive. This AD Audio or a Croft preamp sound like they could be pretty good matches and great value for money!
    I had almost the exact opposite experience. Here's my EAR868PL below, bought by meeting the vendor in Cheltenham by KFC near GCHQ.

He pulled pictured item in from the boot, charged me £2K in cash, and I was one happy bunny. The sad part is he said he was dying of cancer. Not good.

Anyway, if you end up with the same markings on the base (see link below picture for all the pics - it is the last one I am talking about), the unit's only and minor flaw, you know you got the one I had. Unlikely but hey.

I was initially pleased with it. In fact Paul at RFC heard it in my system with my older Apogee Duettas (now long gone) and a Parasound A21.

I actually realised fairly quickly I didn't really like it and subsequently passed it on. What you see are the pictures I took for ebay. I think the unit went to France from memory. Needless to say it sold for a lot more than £2K!

Which reminds me I need to reply to one of Paul's e-mails which I'll do over the weekend Paul, who I am sure is perusing this thread!

Enjoy the pics! And the speakers, which if close to Tom's, will be fabulous.

He who dares can win, and I am sure you have,

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApUl1xxOUo0liULAeRYithX9kKHW

I'm Paul.

Absolutely gorgeous speakers.

I'm Edward.

Looking good Adam

Can't wait to hear the Tannoys in their new clothes. I feel I've been on your journey as well having heard your Tannoys in their original form, then the huge difference Paul's xovers made and the various amps. A big thumbs up to you of having the vision and bravery to take this so far.

And the new cabinets looks just fine next door to your bespoke 'Islington' rack.

@Tom, what's your opinion on the difference (if any) between your Radford and mine that Adam is using? Perhaps there are too many other variables in the picture to make any sensible comment?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Looking good Adam

Can't wait to hear the Tannoys in their new clothes. I feel I've been on your journey as well having heard your Tannoys in their original form, then the huge difference Paul's xovers made and the various amps. A big thumbs up to you of having the vision and bravery to take this so far.

And the new cabinets looks just fine next door to your bespoke 'Islington' rack.

@Tom, what's your opinion on the difference (if any) between your Radford and mine that Adam is using? Perhaps there are too many other variables in the picture to make any sensible comment?
    Hard to spot any differences in an unfamiliar setup .. the similarities are obvious though in the fullness of the sound, the control of the cones, and the overall sense of ease and liquidity. Will gets a few additional watts over the Mk3's 35w, but not sure how often you'd really access them in a reasonably efficient/well matched setup such as this.

I suspect the main differences are not necessarily audible but more in the 'non-functional' areas such as improved reliability from new boards and wiring, the IEC socket allowing use of a nice mains cable (the original is captive), and the use of modern materials and components.

The originals are going to be around 50 years old now and most likely any failed bits would have been replaced on and ad hoc basis, which is not always going to deliver an ideal outcome. Though by all accounts the transformers (the secret sauce in Radford amps) do seem to last pretty much indefinitely unless mistreated in some way.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Hard to spot any differences in an unfamiliar setup .. the similarities are obvious though in the fullness of the sound, the control of the cones, and the overall sense of ease and liquidity. Will gets a few additional watts over the Mk3's 35w, but not sure how often you'd really access them in a reasonably efficient/well matched setup such as this.

I suspect the main differences are not necessarily audible but more in the 'non-functional' areas such as improved reliability from new boards and wiring, the IEC socket allowing use of a nice mains cable (the original is captive), and the use of modern materials and components.

The originals are going to be around 50 years old now and most likely any failed bits would have been replaced on and ad hoc basis, which is not always going to deliver an ideal outcome. Though by all accounts the transformers (the secret sauce in Radford amps) do seem to last pretty much indefinitely unless mistreated in some way.
    Thanks Tom. Would be interesting to try both new and old side by side in the same setup one of these days.

<just viewed an incredible sunset here in Western Oz. Perfect.>
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Thanks Tom. Would be interesting to try both new and old side by side in the same setup one of these days.

<just viewed an incredible sunset here in Western Oz. Perfect.>
    I'm sure that can be arranged.

<I'm looking out from my office at a grey sky and light English drizzle ...>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123