+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp Switch (2 amps into 1 Set of Speakers)

I'm Grant.

not keen on them from a safety position, but sound wise if right switches and cables are used not sure there will be much degradation if any to note.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I have used Stanley's switch for years, never had a problem and my cloth ears certainly cannot detect whether the sitch is in the system or is out of the system and the speakers are being fed a direct signal.

Just saying!
    Analogue
    301 / 3012 / 2m black
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev / Highphonics SUT
    Phono 2 + PSU X 2
    Digital
    Vortexbox, SBT / Teac Dac
    Fiio Taishan
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    P50sa, Glasshouse TVC or Quad 34/44
    Quad 303; 606 or Bel Canto Set 40 or NG 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.
    Q Acoustic 3020.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only concern with your arrangement is that the amplifier that is not selected is not given a load. The danger is that this amplifier could be switched on by accident without a load. To provide 'safety' loading would necessitate the use of an 8-pole double throw 'break before make' switch, and one where the time between 'break' and 'make' is very short.

As to the possible degradation of the signal through the insertion of another set of contacts, well provided the current rating of the switch is high enough the effect will be minimal.

I once built a switch box to switch the output of my amplifier to either speakers or headphones. I used a military (aviation) grade, 20A rated, Cutler-Hammer 4PDT switch. When switched to the headphone position, the amp was loaded by 10W 8Ohm metal-clad resistors, with the headphones fed via series 0.5W 100 Ohm resistors.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The only concern with your arrangement is that the amplifier that is not selected is not given a load.
    True, but most transistor amps are quite happy with no load, or should be.
    The OP's amps are a Tripath switching amp and a Quad 306. I think both of those should be ok with no load.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    True, but most transistor amps are quite happy with no load, or should be.
    The OP's amps are a Tripath switching amp and a Quad 306. I think both of those should be ok with no load.
    Yes, I knew the Quad amp would be OK, but didn't know about the switching amp.

So, no problem.

Barry

I'm Andrew.

Well, I'm guessing that the switching amp will be ok with no load. Disclaimer to the OP: don't blame me if your house burns down

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Well, I'm guessing that the switching amp will be ok with no load. Disclaimer to the OP: don't blame me if your house burns down
    The guy that built my very good class D TPA3116 amp told me not to run it without speakers connected.
    Spendorman

Get some 100 Ohms cement resistors of 5 or 10W rating. You'll need 4 pieces. One for each RCA/PHONO connector.

I'm Paul.

I'll do this Stanley, thanks, by one for each RCA do you mean both ends connect to the one socket?

RCAs? Is that a typo, or are you using RCA connectors for your speaker connections?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast