+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp Switch (2 amps into 1 Set of Speakers)

I'm Paul.

Default Amp Switch (2 amps into 1 Set of Speakers)

Having recently re-bought an Amptastic mini-1 to go into my main system which already comprises a Quad 306, I've decided to build my own amp switch box. In other words a speaker wire switch to save me having to unplug the speakers at either a. the amps or b. the speakers themselves.

This is the first hifi type thing I've built so it may be a bit rough around the edges but it should hopefully do exactly what I need it to when it's complete. I'll be using a single 4PDT toggle switch and 12 speaker binding posts.

Had some MDF lying around so I'm using that for the case:

Amp switch a.jpg

Leaving the front and back panels removable to aid in the soldering and testing and if I need to gain access in future (excuse the vinyl covering I know fake black marble isn't going to be to everyone's taste but again had it lying around) The labels are just off a hand held labeling machine:

Amp switch b.jpg

The toggle switch I'll be using should be identical to this:

Amp switch 4pdt.jpg

Once the toggle switch and binding posts arrive I'll stick up a few more pics to show the progress.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Just make sure the switch is break-before-make, not make-before-break. A momentary short could do some damage.
    I've read about the dangers of this Andrew. The switch is an On > Off > On design so does exactly that.

I'm Geoff.

I don't like the idea of switch contacts in line with speaker cables.

Looking forward to seeing the finished item. But if you are not happy with the end result, just remember that I already designed and sell something similar with a double switch and a metal case.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't like the idea of switch contacts in line with speaker cables.
    Get what you mean here Geoff but with all the switching and electrical circuits within each box you and everyone else uses, does it really make that much difference? I'll be using good speaker wire inside the switch with silver solder and heat shrink to isolate everything. I agree it it's maybe one more extra unnecessary link in the chain but to what detriment in real terms?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the finished item. But if you are not happy with the end result, just remember that I already designed and sell something similar with a double switch and a metal case.
    Stanley, this is obviously the Ferrari of amp switches..........mine will be Dacia Sandero, but I'm hoping, with similar results just not as pretty.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I agree it it's maybe one more extra unnecessary link in the chain
    You summed it up there Paul.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You summed it up there Paul.
    Well i did but my point was is that of all the things that can effect the signal path on the way to the amp speaker outputs, adding a switch in that final chain is propably the least of anyone's worries when it comes to the final result. Maybe I'm being naive in that respect and if I am then I'd happily listen why.

I'm Grant.

not keen on them from a safety position, but sound wise if right switches and cables are used not sure there will be much degradation if any to note.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I have used Stanley's switch for years, never had a problem and my cloth ears certainly cannot detect whether the sitch is in the system or is out of the system and the speakers are being fed a direct signal.

Just saying!
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage