+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Three Most Loved Digital Sources

MartinT Guest

Default Your Three Most Loved Digital Sources

Taking a leaf from Andre's book, what were your three most loved digital sources?

I owned previous machines, but my three best (and most loved) were:

Pioneer PD-91 (battleship CD player from the Esoteric line, with a superb transport, copper chassis and great Burr-Brown DACs)

Sony SCD-1 (even more battleship than the Pioneer, fantastic transport that was dead slow to load, superb Audiocom-modded sound from SACDs and CDs)

Ayre C-5xe MP (wonderful machine with state of the art sound, modded with the Minimum Phase filters, plays DVD-A as well as SACD and CD)

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Micro-Seiki CD-M2/CD-M100/CDX 2000 - a trio of superb players, still difficult to better today if they're singing right..

TEAC P2 transport (2) with Prism DAC - a dem from over ten years ago convinced me.. Totally uncontrived and master-tape like..

Sony's best models - set standards for decades, the mechs being amazing on most of 'em..

One more, 'cos the design was so good with bits available - the AVI S2000 players. Crap to use sometimes, but very clear and powerful sound, totally lacking the "CD Harshness" in other, more "exciting" players...

There are others I remember fondly, but I've said too much..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Haven't had many. I will list them all.

Philips CD204 - early CD player. Sold years ago when I bought

Quad 77 CD Player (plus Integrated Amp and Tuner which I still have. Don't use CDP or Tuner because I have a)

Squeezebox Classic (which I play through a Caiman DAC.)

Loved them all. Love the Squeezebox the best and it cost the least.

Edit: The laptop on which I am typing will drive the Caiman just as nicely via USB
    (Foobar, Windows 7, WASAPI Mode - nothing to choose between laptop and Squeezebox, except SB is wireless and more convenient to use.)
    Last edited by Labarum; 15-03-2010 at 21:47.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Neil.

Marantz CD85 Loved this player...then the CD94mk2 came along.....

Marantz CD94mk2 Stunning build and sound (as long as it is left on) 1541 Crown Dacs at their best imho. I still have this baby, a constant friend and companion through musics rich tapestry, for many years, and it still works.

AMR CD77 Pure magic. Multibit too.

Moon Andromeda It has everything in spades, but manages to be musical and not spotlit.

Almost loved Wadia 861se Similar to the moon, but everything is spotlit and its..well a bit Hi-Fi, and imho the Moon isn't.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 15-03-2010 at 21:55.
    Regards Neil

I love my e-mu 0404 soundcard since it's fast, musical, and also a great recording equipment at the same time!
    And at the same time it seems to be a pretty good transporter, atleast clearly better than my denon dvd-1720

Neil, are those flashing Daleks new?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Deleted.

Ermm...I've got a CD player in the car and an MP3 player - I've never owned 3 digital sources, never mind 3 favourite ones!

No, hang on, I've also got a Playstation.
    Account Deleted

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Neil, are those flashing Daleks new?
    No...been using this avatar for quite awhile now

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    No...been using this avatar for quite awhile now
    Just shows how observant I am!
    Brian

I'm Steve.

My first CD player was a Sony ES557 which I bought in 1988 when DG announced that they would no longer release new titles on vinyl.

Soon gave way to a Meridian 200 series transport + DAC.

Best three though (in ascending order) were Meridian 508.24, Reimyo CDP-777 and the current incumbant, dCS Paganini transport + DAC.
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast