+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Technics SL1200 MKII journey

I'm Lee.

Just a quick update, I took the cartridge of the head shell to find out what it was. It was a AT12XE

I think I will try it with an EVG PM2280DE replacement as it has a lower grade stylus ATN 11 on it at the moment.

Life has been very busy and I haven’t had enough time or energy to do much more at present including listening to Vinyl. I have been buying some new Vinyl here and there in anticipation.
    I have also been trying to mod my Rega P25 which has fought me all along the way and has been frustrating. In particular new bearings have not fitted and I ruined a low friction one trying to get it to fit. Even a new Rega replacement would not fit.
    An RP8 double pulley seems to be too high and so on it goes....

On a better note Alan from Firebottle is putting together and upgrading a Xuling board EAR 834P Phono Clone for me. He has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Thanks
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Lee.

I moved home last year and have started setting up my HIFI again after a long hiatus. This is due to lack of time from a new job and lack of energy. I still have some unpacking to do in my room as well.
    I am currently using a Quad 44 Preamp recently serviced by Quad with a Quad 606 Power Amp and a EAR 834 Phono Clone Preamp modded by Alan aka Firebottle with JJ marched valves.
    I am wondering about a Quad 99 pre to replace the 44 preamp.
    Speakers at the moment are my old Proactive Response 1 SCs, single wired with Van Damme Blue Studio 2.5mm.
    I have installed a Shure M95ED Cartridge with a new EVG Stylus.
    The Audio Technica AT 12XE was having big problems after taking it of the head shell and putting it back on. I think that channel had gone on it. Is that possible?

Not sure how long the stylus will take to run in.

I still need to set the speakers up properly for the room. They are sitting directly on my Partington Stands at the moment and I have some Ebony Cones to install to decouple them from the stands.

I need to recap my B&W DM14 speakers and then connect them and see what the difference is like.
    Also I want to try running my
    WD88 VA XL integrated with the EAR 834 Phono Clone which you can see in the left next to the Quad 44 Preamp.

Any thoughts or comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Lee
    It’s about the music

I'm Andre.

Hi Lee
    Nice to see the old Yamaha TT you are using. Regarding the AT Cart, i like the old models they did + they dont look as tacky as the later ones. You can gets Shibata styli these days to replace the original Elliptical..

I'm Andre.

Regarding the B&W. If they have ELCAPS in there replace them with the same. Any metalised polyesters, replace them with polyprops.. Ansar are my favs.. Mega expensive boutique caps are an utter waste of money imho.. If you need to swap out Power resistors, i go for Mills MRA12..

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Regarding the B&W. If they have ELCAPS in there replace them with the same. Any metalised polyesters, replace them with polyprops.. Ansar are my favs.. Mega expensive boutique caps are an utter waste of money imho.. If you need to swap out Power resistors, i go for Mills MRA12..
    I have gone for like for like where I can so I have bought matched Elcaps from Falcon Acoustics.
    Can you tell me more about the Mills MRA12 Power resistors?

Thanks

Lee
    It’s about the music

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Hi Lee
    Nice to see the old Yamaha TT you are using. Regarding the AT Cart, i like the old models they did + they dont look as tacky as the later ones. You can gets Shibata styli these days to replace the original Elliptical..
    Thanks for the reply, yes I love my Yammie I just want to recap and service it.

What Shibata Styli do you recommend and where from ?

Thanks

Lee
    It’s about the music

I'm Lee.

For anyone interested in my EAR 834P Phono clone built by Firebottle here is the link to the build on LENCO Heaven

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=31356
    It’s about the music

I'm Lee.

I have just installed a Nagaoka MP15 Cartridge with a MP11 Stylus and much prefer it to the Shure M95ED with Jico stylus.
    The Nagaoka is on an Audio Technica headshell which is 10gm and heavier than the Technics headshell which is 7.6gm.

Do you think the extra weight of the headshell makes any difference?
    It’s about the music

I'm Lee.

The next stage of updates I will be doing will be an arm rewire using the following from a seller on EBay

‘This is Kit 5 that we do. It is the only one available to give your 1200 or 1210 pure silver Litz wire from your cartridge right through to the RCA sockets.

These kits can be used with internally grounded decks but we prefer to use the earth.

The silver Litz wire specs and info

Each wire is a 7 strand Litz Construction.

Each strand is 0.1mm of 99.999% Pure silver, soft annealed wire giving it a 0.5 mm diameter and is insulated with high quality Teflon and PTFE sleeving. The cable its self is manufactured in one of the most stringently governed factories in the world which supplies and manufactures wiring sets for many of the worlds top end audio companies. Using the most uptown date manufacturing processes of its kind.’

I think that it looks like a good solution enabling flexibility to use different RCA leads.

I want to order the arm tube from KAB in the USA before fitting it.

I am also considering ordering a Linear PSU and regulator to fit as well and then install it all in one go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s about the music

I'm Kevin.

I don’t like the look of those angled RCA adapters.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast