+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: The System

I'm Andre.

If you are capable. Get the cabs refinished & a nice Black finish on the baffle board instead of that cheap matt blackboard paint finish..Easy enough job cos those Baffle boards should be screwd into the cabinet..

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Philips incoming are DSS 930
    So you bagged them

Did you know they originally came with a digital pre amp to attenuate the signal? If you connect a dac to them they will come out at full blast as there's no volume built in. You'll need a dac with variable digital output. I might be wrong but best to check first before plugging them in and potentially blowing them or try some quiet chamber music at first.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    So you bagged them

Did you know they originally came with a digital pre amp to attenuate the signal? If you connect a dac to them they will come out at full blast as there's no volume built in. You'll need a dac with variable digital output. I might be wrong but best to check first before plugging them in and potentially blowing them or try some quiet chamber music at first.
    can I use any pre then? I did know and the full system is around £300 the guy might have the pre for them I will have a look I don't have a dac so I might be ok...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Dan.

These are very impressive too on the end of a Yamaha EkkCR 820

Philips - GL22561 from 1968/9 -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Turntable
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Lawrence.

can I use any pre then? I did know and the full system is around £300 the guy might have the pre for them I will have a look I don't have a dac so I might be ok...
    I think they are digital input only but most of the DACs I know only attenuate the analogue out. A laptop into a HiFace might allow you the control you need, or a pro DtoD convertor (if such a thing exists) but you really want the digital controller.

I might have completely the wrong end of the stick so maybe Google it first.

I'm Martin.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...peakers.50020/

The DSS930 speakers were originally sold with the DSC950BK Digital Signal Contoller, a digital preamp if you will, which accepts 7 digital or analog sources with the option that two may be optical. The controller also includes a 42-key IR remote. With the DSC950BK one can connect up to 12 speaker pairs and/or 3 clusters for multiroom applications with independent volume and tone for each cluster.

Typically a single connector is run from the DSC950BK to one of the speakers and another lead run from speaker to speaker. The digital signal automatically sorts out left channel from right. From an opinion stanpoint the DSS930 speakers have an exceptionally clean, uncolored sound, very similar to the Mackie HR626 near-field monitors and the Meridian DSP5000C. I would personally opt to add a subwoofer at some point. Their strongpoint is clarity and neutrality of sound rather than volume so I would not use them to move the dust at home.

The Isophase tweeter is driven by a dedicated 20W continuous/ 40W peak. The two 5.25-inch polypropelene woofers are driven by a similar 80W/320W amplifier. They will accept any standard digital signal input but you must have the speakers' remote or your power output will be FULL! Sampling freqencies accepted are 32, 44.1 and 48kHz. D/A converters (low, high frequencies): differential bitstream, 128x oversampling. S/N ratio: up to 100dB.

I am fairly familiar with these speakers, having used them for several years, and actually will be helping a friend sell a set with the DSC950BK before selling my own DSC950BK. I hope the information helps.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dan.

Hmmm not bought yet I might have to give these a miss as no room at the in..��
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Turntable
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Lawrence.

These are very impressive too on the end of a Yamaha EkkCR 820

Philips - GL22561 from 1968/9 -
    Full range? You want a nice valve amp with them. You got one a while ago didn't you?

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Full range? You want a nice valve amp with them. You got one a while ago didn't you?
    Full Range 8 and half inch drivers will try with the LA Audio A30 in due course��
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Turntable
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Lawrence.

Give it a bit of time to get used to the different presentation and you might like them a lot!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast