+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: The System

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Dan, from memory, you should find the terminal plate/panel comes out easily once unscrewed. You'll obviously need to unsolder the wires from the crossover. The terminal posts are 'keyed' to prevent rotation and they have long shanks, so are not easily replaceable with alternatives. It's a good job you found genuine NOS items.
    Thank you

They will need to be sent to my Tech after all i have no skill above what i have said so best let a professional do the work

Thanks again -
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Dan.

How would i go about safely using them for the time being until they are sent for repair if it is even possible?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Martin.

You could solder the speaker cable onto the broken terminal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You could solder the speaker cable onto the broken terminal.
    The heat required would damage the surrounding plastic. Those terminal posts are not interchangeable with other types as they are keyed and have a long rear shank. Nothing else commercially available fits. I know, as I had the same problem.

The easiest fix is to drill two adjacent holes in the cabinet back and fit alternative terminal posts to which the internal wiring can be soldered. Remember the cabinet is thick, so you'd need to recess the holes otherwise there'd be too much depth for most terminals to do up.

Second hand parts are like gold dust, but you could contact 'Mainly Tannoy' or Lockwood and ask.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

The heat required would damage the surrounding plastic. Those terminal posts are not interchangeable with other types as they are keyed and have a long rear shank. Nothing else commercially available fits. I know, as I had the same problem.

The easiest fix is to drill two adjacent holes in the cabinet back and fit alternative terminal posts to which the internal wiring can be soldered. Remember the cabinet is thick, so you'd need to recess the holes otherwise there'd be too much depth for most terminals to do up.

Second hand parts are like gold dust, but you could contact 'Mainly Tannoy' or Lockwood and ask.

I'll wait to have the one repaired i have booked it in with my tech for the near future - Yep the Terminals were purchased from Mainly Tannoy at a very fair price and a proper T165 fit as per photo on the listing a rare find watch this space -
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Dan.

Appears both of the 2528 drivers have coil rub applying light pressure 180 degree spin?
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

Could just be dust in the coil gap. Point them downwards and work the cones back and forth gently a bit, it may clear.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

One has settled but the other seems rather bad so will need to get this looked at too -
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

You could as mentioned rotate the drivers, but that may not be of benefit.

There are ways of dealing with binding coils as long as the coil is not distorted and the magnet parts are not corroded, but this does entail delving into the 'innards'.

I'm Dan.

You could as mentioned rotate the drivers, but that may not be of benefit.

There are ways of dealing with binding coils as long as the coil is not distorted and the magnet parts are not corroded, but this does entail delving into the 'innards'.
    We will have to wait and see they have been put on the project pile for no until i can get them looked at hopefully they will be good i don't know the history of them..
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast