+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm James.

Default Jimbos Audio ramblings

I can't believe I have been a member on AOS for nearly 10 years and I have not noticed the opportunity to put all my Audio related ramblings regarding my system in one place. Sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees and you get immersed in forum posts and forget where you are. Although I would hardly say I am the most disciplined forum subscriber.

I decided at the beginning of this year to try a few different things regarding my interest in hifi, one of which was to nearly ditch all forums altogether and go off in another direction which I am working at currently. This little project is much more complicated and involved so it needs more time but it is an objective for 2023.

AOS has been an interesting forum and my first introduction to Internet forums I think back in 2013-2014. I must say a lot has changed since then probably for all of us as the world has changed considerably. Familiar faces have come and gone and a lot of the old HIFI arguments, sorry discussions seem to have run to a conclusion. I pop on here regularly and it is good to see there are still a good few folk I have met and many I have spoken too over the years still here even though some have wondered off to gain enlightenment elsewhere

I am still very much engaged in this Hobby but I must admit I don't take it quite as seriously as I did when I first started. Sometimes I feel I have reached a situation with my system that makes me feel it is now exactly where I want it to be as it delivers a very good performance across many music genres and always engages me as a listener and captures that magic that can be found in a lot of the recordings I have. The system connects me to the music extremely well and as I listen for 2-3 hours each evening I am reluctant to change anything too dramatically as my hifi fiddling over the years has taught me many of the changes in equipment I have made have resulted in a sideways move.

I was lucky when I first put my system together in that I chose components and equipment that just happened to work well together and system synergy resulted probably by accident. I have learnt along the way to my cost that because a component maybe very good in its own right it does not necessarily mean it will work in my system and this includes some surprises along the way where I though an amplifier upgrade from the same manufacture would be an easy win! Of course many folk on this forum know this but when I started back in 2014 I knew very little about putting together a great sounding system and then tweaking it to get the best out of it.

So today at the beginning of the New Year I have decided to write and photograph my Audiofool ramblings and put most of them here in the gallery. I may switch back and forth between the past, present and future but hopefully it will allow me to have a concise repository of the equipment I am using and have used in the past. I will start with my current system and then work around around this going back over other equipment I have tried which will include cartridges, turntables, amplifiers, digital equipment and many ancillary bits and bobs.

My current "lash up" is very similar to my 2015 system although there have been a few major changes due to the room size which now measure 23 x 9 x 12. I have replaced the Spender SP2s with the Hero GT702 speakers which are from a German manufacture. They attracted me because of their soft dome tweeter and Kraft paper cones and because I purchased them in lock down I was unable to hear a pair before buying but luckily they worked out fine. The important thing was that they were able to deliver a convincing performance in a room this size where as the Spendors were just lost. I do have plans for even bigger and hopefully better speakers in the future but the Hecos will do for now.

My current listening room.

FC32795E-6259-4A81-8C6F-D0245899AAC6_1_201_a by , on Flickr

67B72E96-C2AA-459D-8B4E-506721F8E2B8_1_201_a by , on Flickr

Certain aspects of the room may not look ideal but I have changed things around considerably and this has produced the best acoustic result even with the sofa between the speakers. It does not actually impact the treble or midrange as the driver units are above the level of the sofa. I am working on more room acoustics, specifically first reflection points which will be added in the near future.

I will continue detailing my system and the equipment I am using currently with new up to date photographs later.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-01-2023 at 18:08.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

lovely room james.. im sure it helps in the appreciation of your music. its always great to have a nice enviornment. good write up too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

It is a lovely room but that sofa between the speakers? Also that glass-fronted cabinet on the left hand side seems to be bang on first reflection point?

I try not to get obsessed about this stuff, it doesn't do anything for being able to relax and enjoy music, and it probably doesn't have too much of a bad effect on the sound quality, but I would have to move that sofa. And move the turntable out of the corner too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    lovely room james.. im sure it helps in the appreciation of your music. its always great to have a nice enviornment. good write up too
    Thanks Grant.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It is a lovely room but that sofa between the speakers? Also that glass-fronted cabinet on the left hand side seems to be bang on first reflection point?

I try not to get obsessed about this stuff, it doesn't do anything for being able to relax and enjoy music, and it probably doesn't have too much of a bad effect on the sound quality, but I would have to move that sofa. And move the turntable out of the corner too.
    You have a keen Eye for potential room acoustic problems Martin and you are spot on. But believe it or not although the sofa may look an issue it actually sounds better with it there. I can and have moved it out of the room but there is no benefit. Now regarding the glass book case to the left you are correct it is an issue and I have to do something about that which will happen. Luckily the croft preamp has separate controls for right and left channel so I can compensate a little for the reflections with this as indeed you would in any room that had irregular acoustics.

The turntable in the corner is not an issue. I have no acoustic feedback problems at all with it situated there. Nothing gets through to to even though it is near the speaker even when I have massive bass tracks and lots of volume. It is absolutely rock solid and acoustically isolated with the set up I have more of which later. It is no worse than putting the turntable on an equipment rack between the speakers which is then subjegated to both with airborne and mechanical vibration. I grant you the only probable improvement may be a wall shelf?

I'm Andrew.

What a lovely room, I going out to lunch now but can't wait to read this thread and interact later!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You have a keen Eye for potential room acoustic problems Martin and you are spot on. But believe it or not although the sofa may look an issue it actually sounds better with it there. I can and have moved it out of the room but there is no benefit.
    No, I believe you, I have had similar speaker-couch set ups in the dim and distant past. It may even improve the sound due to damping. The reason I was saying I would have to move it was because visually I would find it hard to cope with it there. i.e 'it's just me'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, I believe you, I have had similar speaker-couch set ups in the dim and distant past. It may even improve the sound due to damping. The reason I was saying I would have to move it was because visually I would find it hard to cope with it there. i.e 'it's just me'
    I don't like it visually either and it does bug me as like the conventional look as it were of two speakers with space between but it does actually help with room acoustics. As you mention the extra damping really does help especially with the top end. Bass is not really affected. I look at many folks set up who have all their equipment set up between the speakers and wonder if this could actually be worse as there are lots of hard reflection points? Whatever works I guess?

My room volume is large and to be honest needs a fair bit more absorbent material but mainly on the walls.
    I have plans for some first reflection point panels which need to be made and will probably include some artwork although they may simply be covered in a coloured material. As you may remember my mate Steve has done this in his huge acoustically treated rooms and it works very well indeed.

I'm Grant.

it doesn't bother me visually i have to say.. in fact i quite like it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

A piccy without the sofa.

P1020566 by , on Flickr

These speaker are 1.2 metres tall and fairly large but I think I could with something a fair bit bigger in the room with bigger drivers. Only problem would be more amplification but I have looked into this. Just need a lottery win!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast