+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook used in a Digital system

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    And will sound the same as a Lindy one for £15. Same as a properly set up media server i.e. a fanless one, it will sound the same as any expensive ‘audiophile’ media server as long as both are outputting bit perfect files, with no resampling.

The issues with digital file transmission are associated with the clock, data is very very easy to get through perfectly, and RFI issues are associated with a lack of galvanic isolation on the input, or a USB input powered by the incoming power line rather than inside the unit itself. In the case of your Chord DAC, it is isolated, self powered and handles the clocking of your digital signals. I expect it to sound identical with any bit perfect input, and so would the designer.
    What about the analogue domain?
    Differences in impedance between inputs, cable topology effects between inputs?
    More to Media servers than just outputting bit perfect, they CAN sound different. Always curious about why...

Never black and white (or even 1 and 0) in this game.
    Just my humble experience of course.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    More to Media servers than just outputting bit perfect, they CAN sound different. Always curious about why...

It may be digital code being transmitted but it is still just electricity going down a wire the same as analogue is, so noise can travel along with that from transport to DAC to amp to speakers.. The better engineered the transport/server is, the less noise it will create and transmit.

The whole 'bit perfect' thing is a red herring, errors in the code will never be audible unless they are bad enough to leave gaps.

(I still think someone must have hacked James's log-in).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Bit perfect is not a red herring, as discussed some software resamples the audio, which is audible.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Default MacBook used in a Digital system

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

I think RFI is the culprit into why this stuff sounds different, or jitter, or clock drift. I use a self-powered USB to SPDIF converter into my DAC, which caters for all three.

USB inputs can be done badly, which can allow noise into the system, or can be well sorted, so the differences disappear.

I have an optical out on my motherboard, but it would be of higher jitter than my Halide Bridge.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Bit perfect is not a red herring, as discussed some software resamples the audio, which is audible.
    Don't use re-sampling software then. My point is tiny inaccuracies/ differences in the file will not be audible, and audiophiles have a habit of obsessing about the irrelevant stuff whilst completely ignoring what is relevant.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Don't use re-sampling software then. My point is tiny inaccuracies/ differences in the file will not be audible, and audiophiles have a habit of obsessing about the irrelevant stuff whilst completely ignoring what is relevant.
    I totally agree.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That maybe but how the files are handled before they get to your DAC is paramount.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That maybe but how the files are handled before they get to your DAC is paramount.
    The problem is that is a big black hole. The computing side isn't the issue, that works on mathematics so the outcomes are certainties, we can tell exactly what is happening. That's why you never have any problems with printing that Word document and all the letters are in the wrong place.

But with digital audio we are listening to the outcome so different standards apply. It isn't a question of getting the data from one place to another 100% intact, that's easy. It's what you transmit along with the data - i.e electronic noise and interference piggy-backs along with it. The subjective result is a 'thickening' of the sound, hash, glare and general unpleasantness.

Mostly this is a result of the power supply in the transport or streamer. The better the power supply, the better the sound. This is why your dedicated streamer sounds so much better than your MacBook. It's also why the top of the line cd players I have sound better than my budget players. This is no secret, the Japs knew this right from the start and used it differentiate their product lines; as you went up the range, the power supplies in a given unit multiplied and became more sophisticated.

Compared to this what chip set the DAC uses or what methods of processing it uses, what bandwith it will handle etc etc is neither here nor there. You have the option to play with different filters and said you found next to no difference.

That's also what I have found with a Sony I have with 4 filter settings. The sound difference between them is not identical but I would not want to put money on being able to reliably identify the difference if I was listening to them blind. And the very subtle differences are presentational, they are not differences in the quality of the sound.

The quality of the sound is entirely dependant on the quality of the engineering, and not on anything that is happening in the 'digital domain'.

Marketing departments would have you think otherwise because quality power supplies are not cheap to implement and not something that will capture the imagination of the typical punter.

Whereas tell them it uses the latest whiz bang DAC chips and upsamples to 384 KHz (big numbers are always better then small numbers) and they will be all over it because, although they don't really understand it, they can relate to this sort of talk from their home/work computing experience where the latest processor and a larger memory is demonstrably superior.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

True. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Like I said its how the information is handled before it gets to the DAC. Not sure any CD player has the ability to stop noise getting into the system, that is why FBA has been adopted by most digital audiophiles using steamers rather than noisy CD players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast