+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The interest in Hi-Fi

I'm Mike.

I cannot imagine that anybody for whom music is neither here nor there would be remotely interested in the equipment required to transcribe it. Was and is audio equipment designed for speech? Creators of audio kit must have been rooted in their desire to improve sonic delivery rather than simply exercising an interest in electronics, I feel.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    This is born out by the fact that there are sites popping up on social media and the net in general for those of us interested in vintage equipment.
    The above is the 'your logic' I was referring to. However, irrespective of the existence of logic or not, I still think you are wrong. As for 'speedracer's' belief that hi-fi has become a niche subject - err, yeah - it's always been a niche interest, this isn't a recent phenomena!
    Account Deleted

I'm paul.

If I mention hifi to most people I get a funny look, it's like train spotting, each to their own.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The above is the 'your logic' I was referring to. However, irrespective of the existence of logic or not, I still think you are wrong. As for 'speedracer's' belief that hi-fi has become a niche subject - err, yeah - it's always been a niche interest, this isn't a recent phenomena!
    Where did I claim to have been the first to observe this phenomenon? Pretty much all my hobbies, & everyone else's, are niche interests as you well know.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    If I mention hifi to most people I get a funny look, it's like train spotting, each to their own.
    I just say I'm into music (or even collecting LPs), much the same as a friend of mine; he plays his on a sub-£100 bluetooth turntable and I play mine on mine. I don't imagine either of us gets any more pleasure than the other, and I don't really try to convince him to buy into the whole hi-fi thing.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Good post Tom,
    And one I can certainly relate to
    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Can't relate to that at all, the better my kit gets the more I want to listen to it, and the more varied music I want to listen to as well. I buy as much if not more music now than I did in my uni days as a music student - half a dozen LPs yesterday from Oxfam in Wokingham, good stuff too. The biggest issue is where to put them!

I actually find it a big source of amusement that when I was in my teens and early 20s, 'fun' was generally defined as going round to my mates' houses with a bag of records (or have them come to mine), listening intently to the music with a bit of chat alongside some tea, biscuits and (if it was in the evening) alcohol. The hifi wasn't really the thing as most of us were too skint to afford anything but absolute budget gear, but it was hugely enjoyable and nobody spent time fussing about cartridge settings cos there was no way to set them!

Fast foward 30-40 years and what's some of the most fun you can have? Go round to your mates' houses with a bag of records, listening intently to the music with a bit of (admittedly often hifi-related) chat, + refreshments. In fact I did that for much of yesterday at Westlower's place (report on his new Tannoys to follow).

In the middle of course was wife, kids and family life and all that that for so many years consumed every penny and most of my attention, but now that both cash and attention are a bit more free, it's a lovely thing to get back into, and hifi forums have certainly helped with that over the last decade or so. (Though it turns out that one of my mates from the old days in Scotland has moved a few miles from me so we go to gigs again now.)

For me there's a wonderful symmetry to the whole thing.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

To me part of the answer seems to go beyond the UK market.

There are the new middle classes in emerging markets to be catered for. Also the long term financial plans of technology giants such as Sony and Philips must surely include audio invention / reinvention. New software formats and distribution media will continue to emerge and they'll ensure that one gets a foothold. New hardware both lo-fi and hi-fi will flow from that. The technology, recording and hi-fi industries are symbiotic and have shown themselves to be very adept at marketing things that people already had in older guises.

The term hi-fi is outdated to many but versions of the hardware, whatever it's marketed as / called by the man in the street, will continue to be manufactured. IMHO that'll keep new generations and new places spending money on the stuff.

Pete

I'm Shaun.

Back when I was eighteen I hung about with a load of people learning to make a noise with guitars and drums and music very much came first. At around twenty I bought my first hi-fi and it kind of took over the music. Nowadays at almost fifty nine years old the music always comes first. Yes I have a nice hi-fi but it will never again be more important than the music. Back in the late nineties I had the most amazing hi-fi based around a Digital Analogue Company 'Ultimate' CD player, an Audion 300B SET integrated and a pair of Audio Note AZ-2's with an Alphason Sonata/HR100S SMCS arm and various other stuff but then I realised I hadn't actually bought any new music for years. I won't be in that position again but to keep on track with the thread, I think that the purchase of new hi-fi gear is on the way out as I do not think it is very important to people any more.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I don't recall it being niche when it was sold at Dixons and Tandy.

I'm Geoff.

I think audio and 'stereos' are possibly being confused with Hi-Fi.

Most people have something to play music on. Far fewer have what could be described as 'a Hi-Fi', let alone one that some thought and judgement went into.

Proper Hi-Fi has never been mainstream. I think it may have reached its broadest appeal in the later seventies. The interest continues, but on a lesser scale perhaps. And, yes I'd say it is a 'niche' pursuit to an extent. But so what?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast