+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The importance of having 'power' at the centre....

I'm Mike.

Are you telling me your missus would rather watch you roast your chestnuts over the fire, than watch Magic Mike XXL on the big screen

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Depends on the 'game' being played at the time of the roasting...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Tom.

I don't like the center speaker, and I can't see the point. The best thing it can do is not to attract its own attention. From my point of view, if you don’t need a central speaker to play music, you don’t need a movie soundtrack. Stereo imaging already provides you with the center image.

I'm Dennis.

My view is that going from mono to stereo was a major advance, and if the imaging is achieved can be extremely good in the centre.

Although pursuing technology can be beneficial, not all supposed advances are very significant, and certainly not all are adopted by the public. Three D and the curved screens are probably good examples with TV.

I have a friend who is an audiologist who adopted 5.1 early on, and thought that it was not really worth all the investment and fuss, and another who bought my ATC SCM100s, a 100 centre and 20s for the rear. The latter only kept it for a few years.

My view is that even H D is only minimally beneficial; it allows the blackheads and blemishes on actors to be seen clearly, and the sheen on horse hair, but there are relatively few terrestrial HD programmes.

The hardware, wiring, and imposition spacially into the lounge are major to me, and the art in most cases does not warrant the whole business, even if the programme production has been very good.

I think most film SQ is poor, and it is only on odd occasions that well recorded sound appears, often in older material, so with this sabotaging of the attempt to get us to suspend reality, I am disinterested.

A little OT, today's Sounds of the 70s was really clear sounding for the first hour, and then went off for the second to the rather ordinary state of usual, and I think that Jonnie Walker takes special care with SQ. What a shame that this does not extend much more to both radio and TV.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brooks View Post
    I don't like the center speaker, and I can't see the point. The best thing it can do is not to attract its own attention. From my point of view, if you don’t need a central speaker to play music, you don’t need a movie soundtrack. Stereo imaging already provides you with the center image.
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to AoS. Fair enough, but in terms of my set up here, we'll have to agree to disagree, as far as a centre speaker goes, and so I stand by what I said earlier

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

reminds me I was watching something the other day and a character pushes a shopping trolley really hard, it disappears off the left hand side of the screen and crashes into something unseen.

The sound of the crash seemed to come from a point at least eight feet to the left of the left speaker. I was so surprised I had to wind it back and play it again. Stereo imaging can be amazing.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I'd just like to add that a few years ago a friend swore that the sound was coming from my TV, until I muted the Hi-Fi speakers.

I'm Martin.

Just made me think about the set-up lengths people go to to get a stereo image that exceeds the boundaries of the speakers, whereas in this case the speakers for the TV are just plonked down in the only convenient place either side of the screen with no treatment or anything except for being sat on rubber feet.

But if the extreme stereo effect is actually encoded on the recording it still 'images out of the box' amazingly well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Centre speakers are there because not everyone can be sat slap bang between the L and R channel, if you are sat to the far left or right then the sound won't be right unless you have a centre channel

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dennis.

Even in the 60s and 70s the BBC was toeing in to spread the stereo spot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast