+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MC Cartridge & SUT advice

I'm Kim.

Default MC Cartridge & SUT advice

I have an LP12 with Armageddon PS and am currently running a Goldring 1042 on an Origin Live OL1 (basically a modified RB250) into my EAR 864 pre amp. I've been concentrating on my digital source recently and I feel as though my TT has been a little left behind and am not using it as much.

I am thinking about changing the turntable in the longer term, so probably not wanting to change the arm at the moment, but have been thinking about trying a MC cartridge. Though my pre-amp has a full compliment of Telefunken valves and I'm delighted with what it does, I'm told that the MC phono stage is a little disappointing. I'd love to change it for an EAR 868, but these appear to be like gold dust on the used market and so I was wondering if adding a SUT might be the answer. It would give me the option to change the cartridge now, but add the SUT at a later stage.

So, does anyone have any MC cart + SUT combinations that they can recommend? Cartridge budget is probably about 400-500. My only experience with an MC was an Ortofon MC20 (I think) some years ago and I found that a little uninvolving in my set up at the time. I have never had an SUT.

I appreciate that this is a question with a great many answers, but just pondering at the moment and looking for more food for thought.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Kim,

I once used an Ortofon MC20 with the MCA76 head amp. Like you I didn't really like it and it is the only Ortofon cartridge I have sold on. In retrospect the uninvolving nature of the combination was most likely due to the MCA76 head amp: there are serious issues with the design, despite it having an admirably low noise figure.

If you like Ortofon MC cartridges, then I can recommend the MC25FL. It has a mass of 10.5g, a dynamic compliance of 16cu and an output of 0.5mV (at 5cm/sec). As such, it only needs an SUT with a turns ratio of 1:10. I would have thought a good, used, sample of an MF25FL plus two 10:1 SUTs would be obtainable within your budget.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Kim.

Hi Barry and thanks for your thoughts.

Just googled an image of the MC25FL - and turns out THAT was actually the cartridge I had before, not an MC20!

Was more likely the setup I had at the time though, so open to the idea of trying again.

I'm Andrew.

If I'm not mistaken, your EAR's phonostage has built-in step-up transformers for MC cartridges. I've heard people say the built-in transformers are not much good, but those people are usually repeating what they've heard others say - and they're probably just repeating what they've heard others say. It could just be something that was said on a forum and has been endlessly repeated ever since.

I suggest you get an MC cartridge and use it with your EAR before deciding to buy anything else.

I'm Kim.

You may well be right Andrew. I think the comparison was also being made between the 864 and the EAR 868/912 - you would hope there would be an improvement!

But yes, my thought was to get an MC and see how I feel about it. Then maybe borrow an SUT to see if the investment is worth it at a later date - my current amp gives me the option.

I was looking at the Audio Technica AT33PTG just because it's within my price range, but the SUTs I looked at didn't appear to be suited to that cartridge. I wanted to make a selection that didn't prove to be awkward when I come to consider a transformer...

I'm Dave.

I agree with Andrew - there's nothing wrong with EAR transformers and the AT33PTG/II sounds wonderful into the EAR 834p and the 88PB.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I'm using a puresound T10 SUT, it works superbly well with Audio technica AT33EV and the OC9 MLII, should work well with the ptg also.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Kim.

Thanks Dave. I undersand that the 864 shares the same circuit with the 834P MM/MC, so good to know the two work well together.

I'm Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I'm using a puresound T10 SUT, it works superbly well with Audio technica AT33EV and the OC9 MLII, should work well with the ptg also.
    ...and thank you Chris - I'll check out the puresound SUT too.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    I was looking at the Audio Technica AT33PTG just because it's within my price range, but the SUTs I looked at didn't appear to be suited to that cartridge. I wanted to make a selection that didn't prove to be awkward when I come to consider a transformer...
    The AT33PTG isn't a difficult source and should be quite happy with a 1:10 SUT. If I'm not mistaken the transformers built in to the EAR are 1:10 and should work well with that cartridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    ... and the AT33PTG/II sounds wonderful into the EAR 834p and the 88PB.
    I'll take that as confirmation that my previous statement is correct

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast