+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M2TECH Young DAC help!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Forane12 View Post
    Not very promising Mine is number 00184 and sure could not be updated... But it s a good DAC, you can use a Linux Rpi for an endpoint and the drivers are Ok. I just had a MicroRendu and it worked right away and improved sound quality quite a lot.
    No help available from M2TECH. There is no firmware update so it's game over.

Decided I like the sound so much that I'm going to try and pick up an old laptop and run Linux on it.

That was M2TECH's suggestion

I'm Geoff.

Were they specific about which Linux? There's a heck of a lot of them.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Were they specific about which Linux? There's a heck of a lot of them.
    They weren't, presume that means any?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    They weren't, presume that means any?
    In that case, you might find Linux Mint 18.3 (which I think is the latest iteration) easy to use and comprehensive.

Bigman80 Guest

In that case, you might find Linux Mint 18.3 (which I think is the latest iteration) easy to use and comprehensive.
    Cheers mate, I'm reluctant to run it as a side by side on the laptop I own. I'll see what comes up.

I'm Geoff.

If you get a live boot CD, you can run it directly from the CD without installing just to try things out. I've done it loads of times.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linux-Min...53.m1438.l2649

Bigman80 Guest

If you get a live boot CD, you can run it directly from the CD without installing just to try things out. I've done it loads of times.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linux-Min...53.m1438.l2649
    Nice one Geoff. I'll drop them a message and see if Linux mint is compatible.

I'm Gary.

Oliver,

another point of view from a Young owner...
    I tried all the inputs and the best sounding was the XLR.

USB was good, but privy to gremlins like dirty 5V supply, cable quality and the like.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Buy a used Windows 7 laptop from CEX or the like, plenty about. The other suggestion is go down the converter route but keep in mind many use drivers as well and older ones may present you with the same issues being incompatible with Windows 10. I have had some issues with a Windows 8.1 laptop with a few I own, but not so much that they didn't work, this included an older JK converter and funnily enough a Young Converter.

USB driver compatibility with older USB DACs is not something often mentioned, as is suitability of latest versions of Windows. Of course MAC users will be smug about this, to a degree, but I have read of some issues with recent MACs over older MACS. Don't ask what as I can't recall details as I am not a MAC user.

Computer audio is a pain in the ass and its issues like this that confirms in my mind to stick with physical media as long as I can, and that said from someone who does have more than a toe dipped into computer/file playback.
    Regards Neil

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Buy a used Windows 7 laptop from CEX or the like, plenty about. The other suggestion is go down the converter route but keep in mind many use drivers as well and older ones may present you with the same issues being incompatible with Windows 10. I have had some issues with a Windows 8.1 laptop with a few I own, but not so much that they didn't work, this included an older JK converter and funnily enough a Young Converter.

USB driver compatibility with older USB DACs is not something often mentioned, as is suitability of latest versions of Windows. Of course MAC users will be smug about this, to a degree, but I have read of some issues with recent MACs over older MACS. Don't ask what as I can't recall details as I am not a MAC user.

Computer audio is a pain in the ass and its issues like this that confirms in my mind to stick with physical media as long as I can, and that said from someone who does have more than a toe dipped into computer/file playback.
    Thanks for this.

I did think I may just build a new set of shelves and get a transport, as is the quality. I'm bowled over by it to be fair. I'm very reluctant to let it go.

Yes, power running in the same cable as a signal is usually a big no-no.

Ok, old laptop, cd transport it is.

Gary, XLR? OK, good job I can make some cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast