+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s time for North West Audio Show 2018

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You can hear the track here, if you fast forward to around 8 minutes, where the drum solo kicks in:

The 'blink factor', in terms of the frightening 'pin you to the wall' dynamics, created from that amazing cartridge, though the test system, was quite something to behold!!

Defo one to impress your mates, on a big pair of speakers.

Marco.
    Every show off test LP should have a GONG!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You can hear the track here, if you fast forward to around 8 minutes, where the drum solo kicks in:

The 'blink factor', in terms of the frightening 'pin you to the wall' dynamics, created from that amazing cartridge, though the test system, was quite something to behold!!

Defo one to impress your mates, on a big pair of speakers.

Marco.
    Yes...That sounds great.
    I suspect on a poor system that could sound a ruddy mess!
    SUPER

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Ah! Yes I have that Charlie Byrd 45rpm lp somewhere...Inspired to dig it out now.

It always makes me chuckle when I see super duper direct 45rpm discs, MFSL, etc. used as demo cuts on TTs
    I know they have to use the best source possible, but it's an extreme example of what an analogue system can do SQ wise.
    Those sort of records make up less than 1% of collections. The Sheffield lab Jazz Lps are really funny (generally pretty poor music but cut well!)
    Anyhow, yes this is a good record and that Cart looks...yummy! Bet it sounded top notch.
    I tire of "impressive" or "show off" records used at demonstrations, and definitely agree with you about the Sheffield Labs direct cut records. Superb cuts, but mediocre music (OK, maybe that's a bit severe - let's say it's not to my taste). I gave my Sheffield direct cuts to a fellow audiophile who likes that sort of thing.
    Barry

I'm Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Demonstrators should always be prepared to play a wide variety of music at shows. Also, IMO, the highest compliment one can pay about a demonstration is to enquire about/discuss the music played, as that is a sign the system is neutral and 'disappears'.

BTW, who is the manufacturer of the cartridge?
    Hi,

The cartridge is a Murasakino Sumile. Sumile means violet in Japanese.

It is an £8000 cartridge imported by Emporium HiFi

They also do a mono cartridge in green.

Details here

http://murasakino.audio/en/products/sumile.html

https://positive-feedback.com/review...ge-from-japan/
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm Sandro.

Yes good records at shows

As usual I cry when I hear Ride On...

https://www.discogs.com/Charlie-Byrd...elease/1266615
    Must say there is a one less copy on the market

I was going around whit this one https://www.discogs.com/Gregorio-Pan...elease/1385276

Comments from distributors ranged from "can I take picture of that" to " I slash my wrist listening to it"

One thing came to mind TT Arm and Muraskino Cart quite few agree it sounded good must say I was not paying to much attention but WTF no comments about the speakers …
    Are those speakers that disappear letting one just enjoy the music? is it not what one has been looking and looking and looking for
    Must have a chat whit that "Chap"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIDB View Post
    Hi,

Details here

Cheers, Dean. Pity about that garish colour, though!

As good as it sounds, when it comes to cartridges, I'm of the 'any colour as long as it's black' school of thought!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Yes good records at shows

As usual I cry when I hear Ride On...

https://www.discogs.com/Charlie-Byrd...elease/1266615
    Must say there is a one less copy on the market

I was going around whit this one https://www.discogs.com/Gregorio-Pan...elease/1385276

Comments from distributors ranged from "can I take picture of that" to " I slash my wrist listening to it"

One thing came to mind TT Arm and Muraskino Cart quite few agree it sounded good must say I was not paying to much attention but WTF no comments about the speakers …
    Are those speakers that disappear letting one just enjoy the music? is it not what one has been looking and looking and looking for
    Must have a chat whit that "Chap"
    Yes, the speakers were pretty good too - in fact the whole system was, clearly put together by a someone who knew what he was doing, and had a passion for real music!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIDB View Post
    Hi,

Details here

I have to say if I chucked £8k large at a cartridge, it's got to play music, cook the dinner, walk the dog and maybe good old rummage to finish the evening!! That's a lot of fooking corn. It had better be the absolute nuts...

To be fair, Adam, it did - and then some! Just imagine, however, accidentally snagging the cantilever on your jumper!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

I can more easily imagine Marco snagging it on his 'American Tan' tights...

And who's he trying to kid with the 'any colour as long as it's black' comment, most of his underwear is that colour! Or so I'm told.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast