+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

I'm Alex.

Default Ortofon OM20 lousy tracking

My dealer installed Ortofon OM20 on my Rega RB300 tonearm and according to my electronic scale, the VTF is set at 1.92 grams. The cartridge plays very nicely on the first track of any LP, but as soon as it reaches the second track, often halfway through, it starts mis-tracking, the sound becomes distorted, and it gets stuck in the loop.

Is that caused by the excessive VTF? Ortofon recommends 1.25 grams for this cartridge. Should I lower the VTF? What else could be causing this defect?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

tracking is recommended at 1.5g. i would check the set up of tonearm too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Pavel.

If it gets stuck, I would check if tonearm movement is free. Sometimes the cueing platform can interfere with the movement of the tonearm. Or the tonearm itself may have defective bearings...

I'm Mike.

As above advice. A heavier than recommended VTF would be more likely to stay in the groove, but sound dull and unbalanced. As aforesaid, check the arm for free movement and no snagging on anything (like bias?). Also check the stylus for crud/fluff/whatever (using a loupe or similar if poss.).

If newish, a cart. should be played at v. near the max. recommended VTF; you can reduce a wee bit thereafter, but there's little if any advantage in so doing. Of course it's assumed the dealer set up the geometry correctly, but I doubt it's this cause.

I'm Gary.

I would check tonearm settings, take record off, put stylus guard on, turn bias to zero. Assuming you have a turntable mat, lower the stylus guard onto the mat and gently using the headshell arm nudge the tonearm towards the centre of the turntable. It should glide easily towards the centre, note where you feel resistance, this should be, at minimum, where the record label should be.

If the tonearm tries to return outward turn the bias a little. Whatever your tracking weight is, the bias as a rough guide should be the same.

Check the vertical tracking angle if you have a small vial spirit level try setting the arm horizontal. If you don't have a tiny spirit level, do this by eye.

If all the above are ok you need a set up alignment protractor, this sets the cartridge and stylus overhang and cartridge angle relative to the record grooves.

The dealer should have done all this if he had the turntable!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good advice Gary.

I've never been happy with the bias mechanism on the Rega arms (for example, the bias is never truly zero when the dial is set to zero), and suspect that might be the problem.

Also, I assume the deck itself is level; easy enough to check with a spirit level.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Never had any problems using thousands and thousands of Rega arms over the years with any cartridge. The magnetic bias is never a problem, the magnetic bias can never be dialled out completely but it shows how low friction the arm bearings are.

There might be a problem with the arm bearings mullered by the dealer, arm cue catching, cartridge wires hanging too low or a duff cartridge.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Good advice Gary.

I've never been happy with the bias mechanism on the Rega arms (for example, the bias is never truly zero when the dial is set to zero), and suspect that might be the problem.

Also, I assume the deck itself is level; easy enough to check with a spirit level.
    Thanks to everyone for great answers. I've lowered the VTF to recommended 1.5 grams by dialling the spring to 3 (to disengage it), and then sliding the counterweight until the scales showed 1.5. The deck is level, and there are no other obvious blockages.

Now the problem arises only toward the end of the record. May be the time to change the tonearm. Any recommendations for what is a true step up from Rega RB300?
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 20-03-2018 at 01:13.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Gary.

If it's now happening at the end I would hazard a guess that the cartridge has not been aligned correctly, do you have access to an alignment protractor?

What you have now is IGD (inner groove distortion). Can be caused by above.

I believe your tonearm is not the issue, i.e. The RB 300 is good enough.

Only my opinions though

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Thanks to everyone for great answers. I've lowered the VTF to recommended 1.5 grams by dialling the spring to 3 (to disengage it, and then sliding the counterweight until the scales showed 1.5. The deck is level, and there are no other obvious blockages.

Now the problem arises only toward the end of the record. My be the time to change the tonearm. Any recommendations for what is a true step up from Rega RB300?

I'm Grant.

Yup it needs setting up right. Can be a very small thing that gives u a lot of grief alas
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast