+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like to try valve

I'm Alan.

Sounds like (excuse the pun) the design was a bit compromised in ratings, or near max dissipations.
    I like to de-rate as much as possible so as to keep temperatures low and ensure very long lifetimes.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Sounds like (excuse the pun) the design was a bit compromised in ratings, or near max dissipations.
    I like to de-rate as much as possible so as to keep temperatures low and ensure very long lifetimes.

Yep, exactly the same as Prima Luna do.

I'm Dazz.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’m wondering if valve amps of today are anymore reliable than they were 30years ago, back then I ran a Beard P35 power amp for about 4 years. I had to be repaired twice in the first year which wasn’t a good sign. After that I spent as much time on it with a soldering iron as I did listening to it. It had a recurring habit of valve regulator failure and corresponding failure of its valve, must have replaced all 12 of them eventually, then the mains transformer went up in smoke, literally!
    Got a replacement transformer then sold it on, was glad to see the back of it, sounded lovely when it was working, had real synergy with my ESL63s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That was not typical of valve gear even back before that. One example, AKAI reel to reel tape recorders started out with valve amps in them. I have seen 4 examples in recent years that turn on a still work perfectly. The seldom needed any servicing in the day (except for mechanical things). Nice sounding little valve amps btw.

I have played valve guitar amps all my life, and gear like that gets totally thrashed. Loaded up in trucks and carted around, and played at 110% on stage. Other than replacing output valves occasionally, or a fuse, I can remember having to do an actual repair maybe three times in 40 years on either my amp, or other band members amps. Once the bias resistors on the output cooked, and once, and resistor in the power supply went o/c. One other time on an amp from the 1950s an electro cap spat is guts messy but easy to fix.

No valves are not as reliable as SS, but they aren't all that bad either. A well designed hifi amp should be good for the lifetime of the valves (which is longer than many believe) a few times over.

I'm Shaun.

Possibly not as reliable as solid state amps but then solid state amps are not going to compete on sound quality.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Possibly not as reliable as solid state amps but then solid state amps are not going to compete on sound quality.
    Bit early in the morning to be cracking open a can of worms isn't it? Still, I suppose it is the holidays, might even join you.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Default I'd like to try valve

There is a giant John wood amp in the classifieds. Should do u
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Depends.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Slippery slope all this valve stuff I’ve had loads and it’s all down to personnel prefence and of course symmetry , If you don’t want to change your speakers then perhaps go the valve pre route to start with.
    I have a pair of Audio Note AZ2 floor standers here and a pair of Audio note Zero power amps that you are welcome to have a listen to as we live in the same county , the speakers are excellent sounding and built for valves but the Amps won’t drive your speakers
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Richard.

Have you looked at the World Design web page ? (http://www.world-designs.co.uk/products.htm).. The KEL84 is regarded as a 'giant-killer' and can be purchased in kit form or already made.

(I have just built the KEL84XL kit).

The owner (Matthew Snell is an absolute delight - very helpful).

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bit early in the morning to be cracking open a can of worms isn't it? Still, I suppose it is the holidays, might even join you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast