+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice Surprises. Equipment that sounded way better than expected!

I'm nigel.

My SMSL Sanscrit dac....bought from Amazon for well under a 100 quid.
    Very smooth and musical.

A special mention for my Nad t 744 home cinema amp.
    I got hold of this for free.....travelled more than I should have to purchase this from a EBay seller.

Not listened to on site (bad), the remote had leaky batteries and needed a strip and clean, the amps volume control was only useable on digital inputs...strange indeed.
    A couple of factory resets sorted it out.
    Upon contacting the seller to complain about these defects she wired me a full refund.

After a couple of years use I went back to stereo and the amp was sitting idle until my power amp died.
    Purely as a stopgap I pulled the Nads jumper links and fed my tube pre into its power section....to say it rocks is quite an understatement.

The Nad is rated at 70wpc in stereo but delivers much more and as seemingly added an octave to my speakers bottom.

Not bad for nothing.

I'm gone.

Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. Bought on an eBay whim (£70 used). My jaw hit the floor when I heard it.

Similar with Amptastic Mini-T amp.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    My SMSL Sanscrit dac....bought from Amazon for well under a 100 quid.
    Very smooth and musical.
    Seconded

Great sounding bit of a kit for sod all money and it has plenty of inputs.
    It's actually ideal paired with a passive (I use a Tisbury) as it allows you to cover a lot of bases with two tiny boxes for less than £200
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Seconded

Great sounding bit of a kit for sod all money and it has plenty of inputs.
    It's actually ideal paired with a passive (I use a Tisbury) as it allows you to cover a lot of bases with two tiny boxes for less than £200
    Got the smsl m6 minidac which is superb for the money... great headphone amp too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

This may make you laugh. My Pioneer PL-12D.

I bought it last year out of nostalgia, as I've always had a soft spot for them. It's just a simple, honest and reliable piece of basic equipment and you know what? It makes music. Better than I remembered actually.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not me. As you say, simple, honest, reliable. One of the true classics.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Not me, good honest turtabale that makes music.

For me, my Amptastic Mini-T amp and an old beat up pair of Celestion 5 speakers I got for a tenner, paired with an HRT Streamer II+ DAC, that little combo sounds way better than it should do.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm matt.

The Quad 306 power amp. Definitely bought on a whim, but I'd heard them sounding good elsewhere. It's a damn nice sounding unit, much better in my system than I'd anticipated, it simply does nothing wrong and is very musical. Needs careful pre-amp matching though.
    Agreed (although I have tweaked mine a bit).

For anyone who's tempted to go for the Xiang Sheng DA-03A rather than the 01A. I wouldn't bother. I had to mess with It to stop It from sounding thin.

Also like the S.M.S.L sAP II headphone amp.

I'm Geoff.

A Rogers Cadet 3 amp bought in West London through Exchange & Mart around 1982. It cost £12 if I recall correctly. Really dirty, greasy and dusty but sounded fantastic with my Rogers LS3/5a speakers.

Geoff

I'm nigel.

Geoff....are you the guy who had my Thorens TD150 a few years back?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast