+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching speakers and amps.

I'm Mike.

Default Matching speakers and amps.

My Ruark Talisman IIs recommended power handling is 25-100w, I've seen a 150w amp that I'm interested in, I'm guessing it won't be suitable for the Ruarks?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

In my experience, that will be fine. If it were not, amplifiers like the big Krells would be unsaleable as they are beyond the power handling capabilities of any speakers out there.
    What amp are you looking at?
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Geoff.

I've used 10 watt rated speakers with a 220 watt power amp with no bother. I'd not be concerned Mike.

I'm James.

Just watch the volume control

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Thanks all, why do they bother with power ratings at all? I've heard amps which are low rated having trouble driving power hungry speakers, but when the opposite is true, would there be any adverse reactions such as harshness or whatever.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Pavel.

Surprisingly, it’s a lot easier to damage speakers with a low-power amplifier than with a high-power one, because clipping produces a lot of HF energy which can kill the tweeters.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Surprisingly, it’s a lot easier to damage speakers with a low-power amplifier than with a high-power one, because clipping produces a lot of HF energy which can kill the tweeters.
    I've often heard that said, but never come across an instance.

I'm Pavel.

I did this in my youth... twice

I'm James.

And I knew the only person to blow a pair of GS401a with too much music power (that from the factory in Mayfair). Takes application but quite possible!

Blowing a speaker or just a tweeter by unplugging an RCA or just an earth issue is near impossible with low power amps, but easy with over power amps. It is perceived as stupidity though so not often admitted to.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

That wasn't the point James. I've also known speakers blow, but not because of an underpowered amp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast