+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Body Cap for the Denon DL-103

I'm Steve.

Default Aluminum Body Cap for the Denon DL-103

Hello, please use this as the primary forum for me to answer any question or comments regarding this specific product.

Aluminum Body Cap for the Denon DL-103 series.

https://www.denonaluminumbody.com

This unique aluminum body is a cap which requires no modifications to your cartridge. To install, simply insert the DL-103 into the precision machined Aluminium Body Cap and bolt both to the headshell through the existing mounting holes. The Aluminum Body Cap provides all of the well documented advantages of other metal bodies, but this modification is completely reversible, transferable, and greatly reduces the risk of damage to the cartridge. Many other aluminum bodies available require a 'nude' DL-103 to be friction-fit within the body. Whereas, the Aluminum Body Shell is securely bolted through the cartridge body and tone arm headshell, providing a firm, mechanical connection.

The Aluminum Body Shell reinforces the flimsy mounting arrangement and vastly improves the performance of the Denon DL-103.

-----------

Technical:

The Aluminum Body Shell fits Denon DL-103 and DL-103r
    Machined from 6061 aluminum
    Anodized: Hard Black
    VTA adjustment: +1.3mm
    VTF adjustment: -3.5g

-----------

Free Shipping Discount Code: THEARTOFSOUND

Last edited by Arrow; 14-03-2018 at 18:12.

I'm Steve.

The Denon DL-103 is a fantastic cartridge. However, it does have a few draw backs.

The main issue with the Denon DL-103 has been known for some time: The stock plastic body is very flimsy. It provides little ability to firmly attach to the headshell and cannot control external vibrations from incorrectly influencing the delicate generator. The solution for DIY enthusiast to date has been to carefully remove the plastic body exposing the inner workings: A process referred to as 'nuding' the cartridge. The 'nude' DL103 is very delicate, as the lead wires are exposed and are extremely fine. Several aftermarket bodies for the 'nude' DL103 are available in various materials: wood, aluminum, magnesium and stone.

There are two draw backs to the approach above:
    1. The risk of damage is high. There are many videos online detailing the procedure, and they all state how easy it is. I have damaged cartridges in the past doing this, and I certainly didn't tell anyone about it. I suspect there are more damaged cartridges than people will lead you to believe.
    2. The majority of the aftermarket bodies require the 'nude' DL103 to be slid into the body and remain friction-fit in the body: only the body is firmly attached to the headshell. Some aftermarket solutions, such as the Zu-DL103 use epoxy to seal the generator in the aluminum body.

---------

I really wanted to develop a better alternative. The idea of a shell that fit over the stock body followed quickly. Initially I tested several 3D printed prototypes. Surprisingly, even a shell of extruded plastic improved the performance somewhat; however, the mounting remained flimsy.

My main turntable has a wonderful Schick 12" tonearm. Thomas Schick writes about the materials he uses in the tonearms: "Metal is usually a good resonator, which is bad. But metal is strong and rigid. In a mechanical assembly the resonances of the metal can be kept very low. If two ‘ringing’ pieces of metal are brought together and joined mechanically, they do not produce any sound anymore." Mixing materials allowed Schick to balance the resonance and tonality of his tonearm, I began to introduce mixed material for the body cap. My final tests brought me to aluminum and brass as the main materials for the Cap. As beautiful as the brass Cap'd DL103 looked, it was simply too heavy to be accepted on most tonearms.

The finished aluminum Cap adds roughly 3.5 grams to the cartridge.

When mounted to the tonearm, the cartridge bolts couple the plastic body and the Aluminum Body Cap together. The mixed material coupling reduces unwanted vibration, improves isolation and increases rigidity of the system. During playback, the original tone and dynamics of the DL103 is present: there is just more of it... Low-end bass performance is also strengthened.

The best description of this upgrade I have heard so far:
    The difference between a stock and a Cap'd DL103 is similar to the difference between listening to an album pressed for 33 1/3 vs. the same album pressed 45 rpm.

Last edited by Arrow; 14-03-2018 at 23:28.

I'm Steve.

Stereophile Recommended Components 2018:

Phono Cartridge Class B:
    Denon DL-103 in aftermarket aluminum body (requires nude DL103)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...cartridges-etc

The Aluminum Body Cap is significantly less expensive than unit reviewed.

I'm Steve.

Currently, offering the Aluminum Body Caps for $25 off.

https://www.denonaluminumbody.com

I'm Steve.

There has not been a lot of activity on this thread; I don't mind. The response has been better than I anticipated and I have a new batch of Caps ready to go.

Currently there are users in over 12 countries. More updates to the user review sections coming shortly, and professional reviews to be posted soon.

Stay tuned...!

I'm Steve.

Hello,
    I hope everyone had a good summer.
    Just a quick update to say we have been working through our second batch here, and can now offer a new lower price on the Cap.

Talk soon,

Its still $85 in your shop on the website

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by clive7164 View Post
    Its still $85 in your shop on the website

Hello,

Yes, the Cap is $85 plus shipping.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    Hello,

Yes, the Cap is $85 plus shipping.
    We have recently dropped the price to $68 USD for the latest production batch.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Thanks Steve I think I may try one of these

Cheers

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s