+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spendor S6e speakers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A little story of what happened during late development of this series, told to me by Phil Swift.

When Phil S took over, Derek Hughes was still there as a consultant. The sound wasn't quite as the new owner wanted, so a little tweak was done overnight. Derek heard the difference I gather and put it down to a pretty major crossover or driver change. All that was done was a change in capacitor type (I'm suggesting electrolytic to film poly prop types). This is a well known 'thing' today, but back then it was a fairly new experience for established traditional designers I believe to get their head round.

So yep, the Spendor S series WAS listened to and dealer opinions sought before proper launch. The Se version suited them better to smaller UK rooms and in some ways, the A series was a visual backwards step imo, although the cabinets are far more solid in the flesh than they look in pictures of these later ones. The current equivalent of the S6 models is pushing £2k now I understand...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

I've tipped a member off about these. Hopefully he snaps them up.

Had I not been emotionally tied to my "Kabuki" speakers, they'd already be on the way. I'm convinced these are a bargain.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I've tipped a member off about these. Hopefully he snaps them up.

Had I not been emotionally tied to my "Kabuki" speakers, they'd already be on the way. I'm convinced these are a bargain.
    Bargain aint the word for a brand and speaker of that quality
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Bargain aint the word for a brand and speaker of that quality
    Which one do you have Rob?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Which one do you have Rob?
    Spendor D7, (as per sig') and they are excellent.

One day I'll up again to the D9 but that's me hoping and dreaming again (as you do in this game)
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Spendor D7, (as per sig') and they are excellent.

One day I'll up again to the D9 but that's me hoping and dreaming again (as you do in this game)
    Nice. Fingers crossed mate.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The S6e isn't as forward as a D7 can be (I'm not saying this as any criticism, just a comment on where Spendor biggies are at away from the old classic stuff) and Ollie, you might find them too laid back, whatever you feed them with - for your tastes I suspect. Had they been S9e's for a grand or less, I'd have urged you to go for them and to find another KSA100A to bi-amp them with Oh yes indeedy Actually, a couple of the original stereo Arcam FMJ power amps would do at a pinch, or a couple of Meridian 557's from memory...

I'm Tony.

Hang on chaps, as much as I like history lessons in audio, it is a sales thread in a trade area, but I appreciate the comments thanks Tony.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm David.

Tony, most people here will only think of Spendor as the makers of the BC1 and 'everything else' that came after - not all of it being very good if the mid period slush-boxes (or squeak boxes if the surrounds have hardened) I've heard from this maker are anything to go by! I was only trying to say the 'S' series was the first of a clean break away from the often variable models of old which only sold in the far east by this time and the '6' and '8' were very good indeed and at the time, easy to sell by comparison.

The 'history lesson' was to try to put the S6e's you're selling into a more modern perspective and to try to update the brand in the mind of many posters here, who haven't been around the audio scene for as long as I have for example..

Sorry I spoke

I'm Tony.

No need to have your nose put out of joint Dave honest, the problem with the typed word is there are no expressive abilities to represent how the comment was written which was in a positive spirit not a annoyed one. Emoticons only go so far!
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast