+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone enlighten me...?

I'm Andy.

Default Can someone enlighten me...?

Hi everyone.. Im on the lookout for a pre amp. What the heck are the differences (apart from tone controls/ no tone controls, phono, remote or not, facia finish) of all the rotel pre amps I've been sifting through on the 'Bay? Im talking RC 850, 860, 971, 972, 980..etc etc. the choice seems to go on and on (and the weight differences are dramatic too- 3kg to around 5kg. The specs on hifi engine talk about some slight frequency differences but as a beginner I can't spot much else.
    I want a phono. Not fussed about remote (that much) or age. Going to use it to run 2 rotel rb 970's in bridged mode. As Used pre's, most of these seem to command a similar price.
    Is there anything I should avoid in this series and anything I should go for? ( I have considered the ra series and just use the pre out.. but they look 'cheaper' )
    Any pointers would be appreciated!

( I have missed a couple of decent adcoms and have seen a David hafler but not a clue whether these are worth a punt over the rotels).

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1 View Post
    Hi everyone.. Im on the lookout for a pre amp. What the heck are the differences (apart from tone controls/ no tone controls, phono, remote or not, facia finish) of all the rotel pre amps I've been sifting through on the 'Bay? Im talking RC 850, 860, 971, 972, 980..etc etc. the choice seems to go on and on (and the weight differences are dramatic too- 3kg to around 5kg. The specs on hifi engine talk about some slight frequency differences but as a beginner I can't spot much else.
    I want a phono. Not fussed about remote (that much) or age. Going to use it to run 2 rotel rb 970's in bridged mode. As Used pre's, most of these seem to command a similar price.
    Is there anything I should avoid in this series and anything I should go for? ( I have considered the ra series and just use the pre out.. but they look 'cheaper' )
    Any pointers would be appreciated!

( I have missed a couple of decent adcoms and have seen a David hafler but not a clue whether these are worth a punt over the rotels).
    I genuinely think your missing the point here! Isn’t about what makes you happy! (Sound wise I mean). There is no best too have!! It’s what does it for you!!

Listen to what ever you can and if it makes you happy.... buy it!!

We all get caught up in recommendations by others that the sound is right!.,! And that’s what we should have! Unfortunately, that’s not always the case.

Use your ears and choose wisely.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Pre-amps are limitless in choice.

Whilst Rotel integrated amps and power amps are generally decent, I can't say I've been particularly struck by their pre-amps.

An Adcom may be OK, but any Hafler is going to be pretty old.

I'm Martin.

Rotel pre-amps are a bit meh, unless you can find a Michi. Halfler are a cut above but will be old, factor in getting it serviced into the price.

Not sure what the frequency response business is all about, they will all have a flat frequency response across the audible range (if working within specification).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Some Models were 'stuffed' with Black Gates.
    This could inflate their second hand value. However, what these Caps will now perform like after all this time must be in doubt and getting replacements could be impossible now, or VERY expensive!

Jim.

I'm Geoff.

Years ago, I borrowed a Hafler DH101 pre-amp in very nice condition from a friend. He'd been raving about how good it was. I compared it to the Rappaport Pre 2 I'd been using for a while. It didn't aquit itself too well, it sounded as though somebody had thrown a blanket over the music compared to the Rappaport.

I'm Neil.

Preamps can often make more of a difference to the sound than power amps...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Steve.

Always amazed at how bloody good Rotel pre amps are.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Preamps can often make more of a difference to the sound than power amps...
    I would agree with you there.

I'm Andy.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm on a budget so buying second hand. That means I can't really get to try any of it first- not really ideal. Half the fun for me is searching, buying and then plugging it all together and listening to it- I know it's going to sound better than the set up I've had for the past 20 years..
    it's all going through some vintage DM7's and the general consensus is that they'll be the limiting factor anyhow (I know I know, but I love these speakers just as I loved Ford Capris
    Rotel aside, there is such a choice- and I can't get my head around the cost of top end stuff- £39k for a used amp on eBay a couple of weeks back.. !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast