+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Denon DL103 Aluminum Body Caps

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol.... Yes, but unlike you, my real name is my username, so there's no advantage in repeating the same info again on my profile.

Btw, you can put "AaronGun", and whatever relevance that has for you, in your sig...

Marco.
    Proud anti-establishment/elite 'heretic', motivated to expose widespread Establishment bias, cover-ups and mind-control!

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    hi Lee, your impressions on it would be welcome as feedback for the developer..
    I had the cap installed on my 103 using the Jelco 750D arm which improved the sound quality, I heard an improvement in the lower bass and the higher end extension and with my Jelco arm it worked just fine. I recently brought a FR64s from Tom of the parish, I tested the 103 with and without the cap on the FR64s and the difference was not so great, probably that the FR64s is a better match for the 103 cart with the FR-3 headshell?

All that said my plan is to put the Jelco arm on the Lenco GL75 which I've modded in a DIY plinth and use the 103 in this set up and put an SPU on the FR64s when funds permit. When this happens I will buy a cap for the Jelco / 103 combination.

All in all the 103 cap is a worth while upgrade in my opinion

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / EAR 834P modified / Denon DL 103. Vinyl rig 2 - Lenco GL75 c/w original arm and Shure M75ED MM cart / trichord Diablo with NCPSU. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Mac Mini / Lampizator Atlantic Plus tube rectified Dac / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Peter.

I'd agree with the comments above.

The cap is very easy to use, and is precisely fabricated, being a tight 'snug' fit. It certainly makes fitting the cartridge on an arm a much more secure proposition than using Denon's original mounting method.

Using it with a 103R on a Jelco 850L arm and a FR headshell, the effect was to firm-up the presentation, giving a little extra detail and a bit more precision in locating instruments in the soundstage. Probably this was most noticeable at the frequency extremes, where there was also a useful improvement in the texture with acoustic bass and cymbals, for instance. Repeatedly switching between using the cap and removing it, also revealed it helped with leading edge 'snap' and dynamics, and although this was a small gain, it was repeatable. Overall, it manages to give useful improvements across the board, whilst still retaing the original character of the cartridge. As Tom said earlier in the thread ... more 'focus'.

On the website, the price is given as $85, which is very reasonable for the benefits delivered. The one I was testing is now with Cyrus (the person, not the brand )

I'm Chris.

Just a quick line to thank Lee and confirm that the cap has arrived safe and sound.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Audionote IQI.
    Pink Triangle PT1, Nima unipivot and Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3. Naim Unitiqute2
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Audiolab 8000c
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Chris.

I had a good listen to my Denon DL103 with the cap and without and also sans cap but with a shim. I intend to give my opinion this weekend but in the interim does anyone else want to try the Cap? If so, let me know and I will post it on.
    Pink Triangle PT1, Nima unipivot and Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3. Naim Unitiqute2

I'm Mike.

Default Denon DL103 Aluminum Body Caps

Hi Chris,

Iíve just recently acquired a 103R and would like to try it please.

Be good to trial before I send the cart off for body conversion.

Iíll pm you my address if thatís ok?

I'm Chris.

Hi Mike, Iíve sent you a pm- it will be in the way to you this weekend
    Chris

I'm Chris.

Right, some thoughts on the 'Cap' for the Denon DL103. It is worth mentioning that my experience with the Cap was influenced by a number of factors which I had not anticipated. Firstly I bought a Thorens TD 124 and put away my Pink Triangle and Roksan Nima. Prior to this I had used the Pink Triangle/ Roksan Nima happily for many years. I use a Transfiguration Spirit on the Pink Triangle most of the time but bought a Denon DL 103 as a temporary replacement whilst I had the Spirit checked for wear. I bought a 3g shim and had to add some extra weight to the counterbalance on the Nima but it did a decent job. Initially I used the Denon without any added weight and as you might expect there was an improvement once a shim was added with better bass definition. In general less bright and more solid; not the last word in detail but certainly enjoyable.
    The arrival of The Cap coincided with buying the Thorens (an impulse buy). The Thorens came with an SME 3009 Series II unimproved- again not a great match for the low compliance Denon. I set it up using the 3g shim and the original detachable SME headshell and spent a couple of days listening. After feeling more familiar with the Thorens/ SME combo I removed the shim and fitted The Cap.
    Firstly The Cap is a perfect fit for the Denon and is very snug. Once attached you can't fit the stylus guard which I didn't find a hindrance but others might if they have unsteady hands and want to remove the Denon safely. The Denon is much easier to fit to the headshell thanks to The Cap. The fitting is clearly more secure and this can only be beneficial. The SME was able to accomodate the Denon wearing The Cap without issue and I spent a few hours listening.
    The difference between listening to the Denon in the SME arm without any added weight and then adding the Cap is certainly noticeable and the Denon becomes a much more engaging, energetic and powerful listen but the difference between the Denon with shim and then with the Cap is less obvious. I think there was a subtle difference but I wouldn't feel comfortable ascribing adjectives to that- its just a general feeling.
    If I bought another Denon it would be because I had bought a high mass tonearm and if I did that I might not feel the need to add the Cap. However I might be tempted at the price point to buy the Cap if I wanted to use it in a lower mass arm. I had initially planned to send the Denon off for an upgraded cantilever, tip and body but changed my mind after buying the Thorens and recently replaced it with an Audio Note IQI.
    Thanks for the opportunity to try The Cap for a while; had I gone a slightly different route I might have been tempted to buy it. As it stands I will now forward it on to Mikeyb very soon.

I'm Chris.

The cap is now on it's way to Mike.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    The cap is now on it's way to Mike.
    Brilliant, thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast