+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ortofon RMG 309 Limited 12-inch tonearm.

montesquieu Guest

Default Ortofon RMG 309 Limited 12-inch tonearm.

I’ve significantly overspent/overcommitted in recent weeks so I’ve decided to let go a few things.

The Original RMG 309 was made by Ortofon in the 1960s and was a high-mass arm for use specifically with the SPU. It was demand from Japan in the 1990s that persuaded Ortofon to re-establish SPU production, and this led to further demand for an appropriate tonearm. So the Ortofon 309i was born, for the Japanese market and made to the original specification in terms of mass, length, offset etc (though higher quality materials and finish). This was made on contract in Japan, I’ve seen suggestions that it was done by Audiocraft though lately Ortofon have established a relationship with with Jelco for for their current arm range.

As it stands the 309i came like the original, without integral arm lift or clip, and on a simple three-point base. Later in production, the 309 Limited was released which has an SME pattern adjustable base that fits straight on to existing SME holes (I’ve added a spacer, useful for my TD124 but not entirely necessary as the base is very sold and the arm pillar more than adequately long). The 309mm spindle to pivot distance is slightly longer than the 295mm of an SME 3012 or M2-12R, but I found it bolted onto the holes of my previous M2-12R and I could adjust to 309 via the slider. So it should fit any base set for an SME 12in arm. This makes it an immensely practical tonearm, though I would say it’s best used for Ortofon SPUs (naturally) and other low compliance cartridges - I’ve used it with Koetsu, Miyajima and Ikeda cartridges, you could include the likes of Kiseki, Phase Tech/Phasemation, possibly some of the Denon 103 variants. One of the best arms out there for these low compliance cartridges.

The finish is a flawless matte stainless. The arm like the RMG original is dynamic balance. I had this arm serviced recently by Angus (phonemac) who pronounced the bearings to be ‘excellent’ and not even in need of adjustment, but he serviced the down-force spring beautifully (the knob turn like butter now, was stiff before), tightened up a slight droop on the end stub, and also re-filled the damper so the lift now drops slowly and evenly.

No ortofon box though I have an Audio Origami PU7 12in box that fits nicely. The MC702 isn’t included either. No problem to hear this on my TD124. No arm cable though works with any standard 5-pin tonearm plug (I’ve been using it with Audio Note AN-Vx).

I’ve seen asking prices for these of £2-3k in Japan and up to £2k in Europe but I’m offering this one at £1250 plus £12 RMSD.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

PM sent.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

... And Sold.

+ Reply to Thread