+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone tried the BK Electronics Pear Drop amp ?

I'm Steve.

I don't know why, but I've never really trusted WHF reviews. It's just a feeling that they may give better reviews to manufacturers that provide plenty of advertising revenue, and who knows, maybe a few freebies?

Plus, they harp on about tellies a bit too much.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I am in the throes of making an amp change and this one interests me, unfortunately there is absolutely nothing about it on the net, no reviews, it’s mentioned on a few forums but nobody has come forward with any hands on opinions, I was wondering if anyone on here has one or has heard one who could give some insight into how it performs. I sent BK a message through their website to see if they were prepared to loan one for audition but they haven’t responded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not too surprised that BK didn't reply, not much money involved here. Why don't you just buy and try? I've heard good reports regarding the chip set the Pear Drop product uses though. One nice feature is that it can be bridged assuming you have 8ohm speakers.

I'm steve.

Pleased to report the amp situation is now resolved courtesy of Jerry (jandl100), who sent me an SMSL Q5 Pro on loan with the option to buy if I liked it. Well after 3 hours or so of auditioning today I didn't like it, I LOVED IT, it's exactly what I've been after sound wise, so much better than the Yamaha amp I've just parted company with, particularly in the treble department which is clean, clear and with just the right amount of brilliance, it's no slouch in the bass and midrange either, good solidity, speed and punch in the bass and a good degree of detail and transparency in the midrange. It certainly seems to have a very good synergy with my Jordans that the Yamaha never had. Very ample power reserves too.
    I don't think it's quite a match for the Cambridge CXA60 that used to drive the Jordans but it's certainly closer to its performance than the Yamaha's, but you do have to take the price difference into context. Definitely recommend this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

He's a good man, that Jerry is. He helped me in a similar way last year.

The amp he loaned me demonstrated that you don't need to throw huge money at components to get a good sound.

I'm gone.

Thanks, guys. Happy to help.
    I remain convinced that there isn't a very strong relationship at all between cost and sound quality when it comes to electronics.
    You can get poor or great sound in any price band, ime.
    Justin has recently found that out with DACs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12