+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amperex Bugle Boy 12au7 tubes

I'm Paul.

Default Amperex Bugle Boy 12au7 tubes

Picked up a pair of NOS 12au7 Bugle Boys in top condition for my Air Tight ATM1-S.

First time using Bugle Boys, and wow the ambience, bloom, tube magic is insanely good. Holographic and huge soundstage. Bass is great, highs smooth and mids are too good...

I have used a lot of NOS from Valvo, Telefunken, other Amperex (not bugle boy though) GE Military Spec, along with many brand new modern tubes from most name brands. The new stuff just does not compare to the NOS, and I given them so many tries at 100s of hours use, but new tubes for me are too mechanical sounding, too bright and edgy despite long burn in time.

Anyone used other tubes that they think compare favorably to Bugle Boy AU7s?
    Pauls Stuff

Amp and Pre — Air Tight ATM1-S tube amp 36wpc EL34, Linn Akurate Kontrol 2 channel preamp
    Speakers and Analog - Proac Response D Two, Thorens TD160HD with Clearaudio Talismann V2 cart, Clearaudio Basic+ with Accu+ phono preamp
    Digital — Auralic Aries streamer, Cambridge Audio 840C CD
    Rack Isolation - Solid Tech Radius Solo, HRS, Symposium, and Synergisitc Research isolation shelfs.
    Power treatment/cables — Audience AR6TS power conditioner, interconnects and power cables mix of Cardas Golden Reference and Nordost Valhalla.

I'm Drew.

FIVRE and Miniwatt (also made in Herleen factory and essentially the same tube) have the same sonics. Mullard are not dissimilar either...

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    FIVRE and Miniwatt (also made in Herleen factory and essentially the same tube) have the same sonics. Mullard are not dissimilar either...
    I do have a couple of minwatt 12ax7 and I like them, very nice. My amp uses 1 ax7, 2 au7 and 4 EL34 or 6ca7.

I had never heard of Fivre before, an Italian brand? I guess hard to get now, I have never see them sold online before.
    Pauls Stuff

Amp and Pre — Air Tight ATM1-S tube amp 36wpc EL34, Linn Akurate Kontrol 2 channel preamp
    Speakers and Analog - Proac Response D Two, Thorens TD160HD with Clearaudio Talismann V2 cart, Clearaudio Basic+ with Accu+ phono preamp
    Digital — Auralic Aries streamer, Cambridge Audio 840C CD
    Rack Isolation - Solid Tech Radius Solo, HRS, Symposium, and Synergisitc Research isolation shelfs.
    Power treatment/cables — Audience AR6TS power conditioner, interconnects and power cables mix of Cardas Golden Reference and Nordost Valhalla.

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by ppat2 View Post
    I do have a couple of minwatt 12ax7 and I like them, very nice. My amp uses 1 ax7, 2 au7 and 4 EL34 or 6ca7.

I had never heard of Fivre before, an Italian brand? I guess hard to get now, I have never see them sold online before.
    FIVRE were made in Italy and are some very nice tubes indeed.. If you're interested let me know, I have some in my stock.

+ Reply to Thread