+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTD: EAR Yoshino 868PL

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    There is a huge difference between the standard RC valve phono stage in the 834P - EAR's entry level - and the higher end LCR phono stage designs in the 88P (hybrid valve/FET) and 912 (all valve). The one in the 868PL uses the hybrid design in the 88P. If I were you I'd stick out for your original choice.
    Thanks, Tom - I will hold out on that basis... Of course, I could go for the 88P and the 868L, but I doubt that is going to be a particularly efficient way to do it when thinking about my now rather frayed purse strings...

I bought an expensive amp one time from Slovenia. I checked the guy out on every possible platform, phoned him multiple times, asked for references, but at the end of the day I was still very nervous about sending the cash. Luckily that one worked out, but for my next big foreign purchase, my EAR 912, I drove to Belgium to pick it up as I didn't want to push my luck. Italy's a bit far for that though.
    I was also very nervous, but really did a lot to check the guy out. I genuinely thought about getting on a plane... Anyway, lesson learnt. I hope.

I'm Charlie.

Bumping to find an 868PL! Thanks!

(I am also keeping on at the bank who have now passed everything on to their "fraud team")

I'm martin.

I bought an expensive amp one time from Slovenia. I checked the guy out on every possible platform, phoned him multiple times, asked for references, but at the end of the day I was still very nervous about sending the cash. Luckily that one worked out, but for my next big foreign purchase, my EAR 912, I drove to Belgium to pick it up as I didn't want to push my luck. Italy's a bit far for that though.
    We found Slovenians to be people of high integrity (and the country beautiful) - we even bought a holiday home there ;-). Still, I feel very nervous every time I need to wire money, but did in the past to Belgium, France and Italy and everything went fine.

I'm Primoz.

Hi, I'm from Ljubljana, Slovenia. And I just order EAR868PL from my seller. I have two monoblosks Audio Innovations 1000 Mk3, speakers are Tannoy Edinburhg HE and Tannoy Autograph Mini. I hope EAR868PL will make my system sing nice.
    BTW, Slovenia is the only country with word "LOVE" in its name.

I'm Justin.

Sorry to hear about the scam.

I owned an EAR 868PL. I can't recommend one unless you are looking to calm your system down a bit. I think they are quite lifeless things. I didn't rate the phono stage much either, preferring a solid state Trichord by quite a margin.I ran it with both Teslas and Telefunkens with no long term satisfaction and sold it.

Initially I quite liked the presentation but it didn't last long. It also uses RS components which is not reasonable given the price level.

IMHO you can do a lot better for less.

I'm Jostein.

This is a quite popular item in the used market. This is one of the better offers I found:

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/ea...tie-3478259475

AlternativeAudio also have EAR products sometimes for sale. You might contact them to get some advice/offer:

http://alternativeaudio.co.uk/
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12