+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ker pow!!!

I'm Geoff.

Yes, plasma drivers are interesting. The only mass being the energised 'plug' of air/plasma.

TheMooN Guest

Yup, Compression driven horns right up to a Plasma tweeter would be a right hoot........Hmmmmmm, Maybe

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Sorry I disagree with the quote, well designed valve amps are capable of very wide bandwidths, Some of mine well exceed 100k, maybe what you were refering to is full power bandwidth, if so' then I can understand where your coming from, but even then, good valve amps do not disgrace!
    At very low frequencies Solid State amps undoubtably have the edge over valve amps, solid state amps have very low output impedance compared to conventional valve amps using an output transformer. However; Most well designed valve amps can easily achieve a low frequency response down to around 20hz, which when you think about it, is well below most musical content. Now if we go back to what happens when you connect a conventional loudspeaker drive unit to each design, and take into account what happens with the speaker impedance over its frequency range [as discussed in an earlier post of mine] it should be easily understood that a well designed conventional push-pull valve amp, with minimal feedback around it, and driving a conventional loudspeaker design wins the high frequency debate by default!
    Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    and SS amps generally have a much wider bandwidth than valve amps. It follows logically therefore that SS amps are able to react faster to transients in music than valve amps. .
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 12-03-2018 at 20:54.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Sorry I disagree with the quote, well designed valve amps are capable of very wide bandwidths, Some of mine well exceed 100k, maybe what you were refering to is full power bandwidth, if so' then I can understand where your coming from, but even then, good valve amps do not disgrace!
    The latter is how I read this Anthony.

Not sure I understand what you mean Rodger ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    The latter is how I read this Anthony.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

TheMooN Guest

In that I took Tony to be expressing 'across the full power bandwidth' Anthony, I may be wrong on that conclusion tho !

Ahh, I see, yes, possibly!
    And I think you mean Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    In that I took Tony to be expressing 'across the full power bandwidth' Anthony, I may be wrong on that conclusion tho !
    Nikola Tesla

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Most well designed valve amps can easily achieve a low frequency response down to around 20hz, which when you think about it, is well below most musical content. Now if we go back to what happens when you connect a conventional loudspeaker drive unit to each design, and take into account what happens with the speaker impedance over its frequency range [as discussed in an earlier post of mine] it should be easily understood that a well designed conventional push-pull valve amp, with minimal feedback around it, and driving a conventional loudspeaker design wins the high frequency debate by default!
    Care to comment on that, Andrew? It certainly reflects what I've heard, whenever I've carried out the respective comparisons

Marco.
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 12-03-2018 at 20:55.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Could my room layout speaker position have an effect on perceived volume/loudness?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, it's possible, simply because speakers and rooms [and how they interact together] affect what you're hearing (often in unsuspecting ways) considerably more than anything else!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast