Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Saying that one's hifi sounds right from low volumes all the way up is forgetting the equal loudness curves. Unless the designer has implemented a special Fetcher Munson Tilt control in your pre-amp then it just doesn't sound the same at low volumes as it does at loud ones because the ears response to different frequencies isn't linear.
Of course it doesn't sound the SAME, but it still sounds right; that's the difference. And by "right", I mean there's no lack of clarity, dynamic presence or 'excitement', when music is played at low levels. The sound is just simply quieter (and less 'impactful').

If in order for your system to sound right ['alive'], and be enjoyable, you have to turn the wick right up (or listen at a certain position on the volume control), then something's fundamentally wrong!

It should be like that from the first click on the volume control, right up until the sound starts to clip, although of course it will sound different, and arguably more 'exiting', at the point which voices and/or instruments are allowed to be reproduced in a more lifelike and realistic fashion, by increasing the volume accordingly.

When I'm listening late at night or in the small hours of the morning, and so as not to disturb anyone at home sleeping, I often just have the Croft on at the first click of the volume control (stepped attenuator), from the off position - and I can happy listen for hours that way to music, without feeling 'short changed' [it still successfully fills the room with convincing sound].

That's the best way I can put it

Marco.