+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ker pow!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No problem, I always enjoy a good sesh, but of course the way to appreciate any amp the most will always be to hear it within the context in which it was designed to perform best

Taking bits out of a 'completed jigsaw' and trying to get them to successfully fit elsewhere is always a bit of a minefield.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No problem, I always enjoy a good sesh, but of course the way to appreciate any amp the most will always be to hear it within the context in which it was designed to perform best

Taking bits out of a 'completed jigsaw' and trying to get them to successfully fit elsewhere is always a bit of a minefield.

Marco.
    I agree. Surrounded by its hand picked parts has got to be the best way.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken & Tesla Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Other than buyng brand new, look in to 2nd hand amps which are built well, well designed and which are easy to mod. For example a puresound A30 can be made it to a stonking power amp.

All you need to do is ask on here and someone should be able to point you in the right direction in buying an amp which could only cost you around 800 and with someone who knows what they are doing can mod it to a much higher level for a modest cost.

Sometimes you can get an amp which blows much more expensive new amps in to the dust once it's been sorted by someone who really knows his onions.
    I would be wary of this approach. Firstly, if the amp is "built well" and "well designed" in the first place, why mess with it? I certainly wouldn't like a third-party meddling with something I had designed.
    Secondly, if the "someone who really knows his onions" actually does know more than the manufacturer of the amp, why not buy an amp from him made to his own design instead of giving him someone else's amp to modify?

However, I do agree that some of the Chinese stuff is so cheap it's worth buying just for the case, valve bases, knobs etc., with the intention of ripping everything out to start again from scratch with a completely different design.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    However, I do agree that some of the Chinese stuff is so cheap it's worth buying just for the case, valve bases, knobs etc., with the intention of ripping everything out to start again from scratch with a completely different design.
    I think that is pretty much what was being suggested. If you'd already bought an amp with quality output transformers then it was probably not cheap, or Chinese.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I agree, Andrew, but I know where Jo's coming from.

There are valve amps available for importing from China (which essentially some well-respected commercial designs now were born from), that once made 100% safe for UK mains [and that bit is essentially important, despite what any seller claims], can be judiciously modified by any competent EE into becoming seriously good amps - and notably, all in all, for considerably less than it would cost to get the same built in the UK from scratch, simply because as you mention, some of the core parts that cost money here are ridiculously cheap!

I did this myself at the very beginning, importing a Yaqin MC-100B [a dual-mono integrated 30W KT-88 P/P design), into the UK for 350, which I subsequently got Anthony to modify, by turning it into a power amp only, and upgrading key internal components (designed to improve safety and sonics), to which I then fitted some nice NOS valves, and all in cost me well under 2k - and afterwards, sonically, could compete with many much more expensive commercially produced valve amps from 'badged' high-end manufacturers.

It's certainly a viable (if not straightforward) route to take, but one that in the end can produce very rewarding results, especially in terms of maximising SPPV!

Here's a link to the amp in question I bought. This one is fitted with Psvane valves, and a bargain (based on the above provisos): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAQIN-MC-...cAAOSwymxVQe6~

It's the amp that (even in stock form) switched me from SS to valves, as once I heard what it did, musically, it was goodbye to sorry-state, erm sorry, solid-state [only kidding]!

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

had an older one of those... good amp for money
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Andrew.

Here's a link to the amp in question I bought. This one is fitted with Psvane valves, and a bargain (based on the above provisos): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAQIN-MC-...cAAOSwymxVQe6~
    That's a serious amount of glass, iron and steel for the money. Just getting that case and those transformers made in the UK could cost the retail price of that amp, particularly if the quantity involved is low.
    Making stuff in the UK to compete with Chinese stuff on price is impossible - gotta compete some other way

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    That's a serious amount of glass, iron and steel for the money. Just getting that case and those transformers made in the UK could cost the retail price of that amp, particularly if the quantity involved is low.
    Isn't it just! Especially when you consider that it's an integrated design, and also dual-mono which is actually one of the things that makes it more desirable than other similar Chinese offerings. I was initially alerted to it by a mate of mine, Duncan (tubehunter) who occasionally posts here.

I can assure you that, even in stock form it's stupidly good for the money, and suitably modded (as outlined above) a veritable giant killer!

*BUT*DEPITE THE CLAIMS OF ANY SELLER, IT CANNOT BE GUARANTEED TO BE 100% SAFE ON UK MAINS.

It may be 'officially rated' at 240V, but in my experience that's dubious (as mine went pop, before partnered with a suitable step-down transformer) especially if used in areas of the UK where the mains voltage can be as high as 250V (sometimes more), the internal components simply aren't built to handle that amount of over-voltage; indeed it's questionable whether they're even any good for 240V!

Therefore, the ONLY way I'd recommend anyone here buying this amp is for it simply to be purchased and shipped directly to someone like Anthony, without it even being switched on, whereby it can be tested and approved as safe. However, it will almost certainly need modifying before that's the case.

After it's been made safe, but otherwise remains in stock form, it could then be forwarded to the owner for assessment, and then if liked, at a later stage be turned into something rather special for the money!

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

Isn't it just! Especially when you consider that it's an integrated design, and also dual-mono which is actually one of the things that makes it more desirable than other similar Chinese offerings. I was initially alerted to it by a mate of mine, Duncan (tubehunter) who occasionally posts here.

I can assure you that, even in stock form it's stupidly good for the money, and suitably modded (as outlined above) a veritable giant killer!

*BUT*DEPITE THE CLAIMS OF ANY SELLER, IT CANNOT BE GUARANTEED TO BE 100% SAFE ON UK MAINS.

It may be 'officially rated' at 240V, but in my experience that's dubious (as mine went pop before partnered with a suitable step-down transformer), especially if used in areas of the UK where the mains voltage can be as high as 250V (sometimes more), the internal components simply aren't built to handle that amount of over-voltage; indeed it's questionable whether they're even any good for 240V!

Therefore, the ONLY way I'd recommend anyone here buying this amp is for it simply to be purchased and shipped directly to someone like Anthony, without it even being switched on, whereby it can be tested and approved as safe. However, it will almost certainly need modifying before that's the case.

After it's been made safe, but otherwise remains in stock form, it could then be forwarded to the owner for assessment, and then if liked, at a later stage be turned into something rather special for the money!

Marco.
    had a bucking tx on mine which brought mains down 24 volts. worked very nicely after that. probably should have kept that
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    had a bucking tx on mine which brought mains down 24 volts. worked very nicely after that. probably should have kept that
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

We Send our kids to school to be Educated, not Medicated!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast