+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ker pow!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Not sure I understand what you mean Rodger ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    The latter is how I read this Anthony.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

We Send our kids to school to be Educated, not Medicated!

I'm Rodger.

In that I took Tony to be expressing 'across the full power bandwidth' Anthony, I may be wrong on that conclusion tho !

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Ahh, I see, yes, possibly!
    And I think you mean Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    In that I took Tony to be expressing 'across the full power bandwidth' Anthony, I may be wrong on that conclusion tho !
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

We Send our kids to school to be Educated, not Medicated!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Most well designed valve amps can easily achieve a low frequency response down to around 20hz, which when you think about it, is well below most musical content. Now if we go back to what happens when you connect a conventional loudspeaker drive unit to each design, and take into account what happens with the speaker impedance over its frequency range [as discussed in an earlier post of mine] it should be easily understood that a well designed conventional push-pull valve amp, with minimal feedback around it, and driving a conventional loudspeaker design wins the high frequency debate by default!
    Care to comment on that, Andrew? It certainly reflects what I've heard, whenever I've carried out the respective comparisons

Marco.
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 12-03-2018 at 20:55.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm James.

Could my room layout speaker position have an effect on perceived volume/loudness?
    cambridge audio azur 651w power amp, novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, tannoy dc4t]
    , van damme blue series interconnects, van damme studio blue 4mm speaker cable, klotz mc 5000 ,klotz silver hybrid, thanks Brian, fisual hollywood optical cable,, pioneer bdp170, akg k 550

Yes, it's possible, simply because speakers and rooms [and how they interact together] affect what you're hearing (often in unsuspecting ways) considerably more than anything else!

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Dennis.

According to Newell and Holland, distortion in the throat of compression drivers can be quite high due to the non linearity of the air under compression.

Plasma drivers produce ozone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Care to comment on that, Andrew?
    Hello, are you still with us?

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Andrew.

Sorry I disagree with the quote, well designed valve amps are capable of very wide bandwidths, Some of mine well exceed 100k, maybe what you were refering to is full power bandwidth, if so' then I can understand where your coming from, but even then, good valve amps do not disgrace!
    At very low frequencies Solid State amps undoubtably have the edge over valve amps, solid state amps have very low output impedance compared to conventional valve amps using an output transformer. However; Most well designed valve amps can easily achieve a low frequency response down to around 20hz, which when you think about it, is well below most musical content. Now if we go back to what happens when you connect a conventional loudspeaker drive unit to each design, and take into account what happens with the speaker impedance over its frequency range [as discussed in an earlier post of mine] it should be easily understood that a well designed conventional push-pull valve amp, with minimal feedback around it, and driving a conventional loudspeaker design wins the high frequency debate by default!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Care to comment on that, Andrew? It certainly reflects what I've heard, whenever I've carried out the respective comparisons
    My original comment was only intended as an observation that despite SS amps having (generally) a much wider bandwidth than valve amps they don't necessarily sound like they have more transient attack. Maybe some valve amps go up to 100kHz but I think my observation that most SS amps have a wider bandwidth than most valve amps is true.
    Anyway, even if Anthony disagrees with the quote he clearly doesn't disagree with the sentiment expressed in my post - that valve amps don't sound like they lack transient attack, even if the specs might suggest otherwise.
    My post was actually a comment on Marco's idea that valve amps have a greater slew rate than SS amps because they have higher voltage power rails.

This bit I don't understand at all:
    Now if we go back to what happens when you connect a conventional loudspeaker drive unit to each design, and take into account what happens with the speaker impedance over its frequency range [as discussed in an earlier post of mine] it should be easily understood that a well designed push-pull ultralinear valve amp, with minimal feedback around it, and driving a conventional loudspeaker design wins the high frequency debate by default!
    Wins the high frequency debate by default? I don't follow the argument
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 12-03-2018 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My original comment was only intended as an observation that despite SS amps having (generally) a much wider bandwidth than valve amps they don't necessarily sound like they have more transient attack. Maybe some valve amps go up to 100kHz but I think my observation that most SS amps have a wider bandwidth than most valve amps is true.
    Sure, I'll buy that. However, in terms of the last bit, it goes back to my earlier point that you cannot judge how good *anything* is unless holding up the best versions of it as the example

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast