+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NOS DACs

I'm David.

Default NOS DACs

Hello, I'd like some advice/thoughts on NOS DAC's please? My current DAC is a Mytek Brooklyn with an external power supply which is OK but I'm looking for something more "musical". From reading I suppose I am most interested in the SW1X DAC's, AudioNote's and perhaps the DDDAC. I doubt that anyone has heard all three but any comparisons/thoughts you could give me would be very welcome.

David Whistance

I'm Clive.

Any DAC from Metrum....just pick your price point.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Peter.

David,

Unless I’ve read your post incorrectly. Are you inferring that the Mytek Brooklyn DAC is not musical? I only ask, as I’m about to get this DAC via another forum member.

Obviously, I understand that there are far more expensive DAC’s available, that may be better than the Mytek but I’m just it bit concerned I may be making a mistake.

Any words of wisdom?

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    Hello, I'd like some advice/thoughts on NOS DAC's please? My current DAC is a Mytek Brooklyn with an external power supply which is OK but I'm looking for something more "musical". From reading I suppose I am most interested in the SW1X DAC's, AudioNote's and perhaps the DDDAC. I doubt that anyone has heard all three but any comparisons/thoughts you could give me would be very welcome.
    I have heard examples of all three in a variety of systems. I own a couple of DDDACs (plus a Bryston BDA-2 and DiDiT DAC212SE) and have owned a couple of AN DACs (2.1 and 4.1LE). I prefer the less in-your-face presentation of NOS DACs but I know a lot of people that prefer the accuracy of studio DACs like the Mytek.

I'm David.

Peter,

I'm sorry I used the wrong words. The Brooklyn isn't unmusical, its actually very good, its just that I'd prefer something a bit more analog. A DAC is never going to sound like my Garrard but that is the direction I'd like to move in. The Brooklyn is undoubtedly accurate, the Garrard certainly isn't, I just happen to like its presentation and the way it colours the sound!

David Whistance

I'm Gary.

If your looking to get analogue sounding digital can I recommend PS Audio ?
    Recently picked up one of their Directstream dacs and frankly I've not listened to vinyl since I've got it.
    I have a pretty decent turntable setup...

Bit more expensive but worth pushing the boat out for, if your looking for a non studio sounding dac...just puts musicians in the same room.
    Love mine, had to sell a kidney to get one though.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 05-03-2018 at 19:46.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

David the only one I have experience of was the Audio Note DAC One 1X Signature

I owned it for years and it is certainly a superb sounding Dac and, yes, 'musical' sounding is about right

Very highly recommended if you can get hold of one
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Just had a thought.....

You could also perhaps try the little Chord Hugo as it sounds amazing. Ok it's not NOS

I had one and while I loved the sound it produced I found the UI infuriating but if you can get past that it's very good indeed
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Just had a thought.....

You could also perhaps try the little Chord Hugo as it sounds amazing. Ok it's not NOS

I had one and while I loved the sound it produced I found the UI infuriating but if you can get past that it's very good indeed
    Thank you! Sound advice indeed!!.

I already have two DACs (via the Macintosh CD 550 & the Ifl black box ) just looking for something that might knock my socks off !

Perhaps the Mytek ain’t it!!

But who knows?.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm James.

I tried a lite ah DAC and a muse nos dac,looking back I found them a bit ZZzzzzzz
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast