+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM601 S2 upgrade....

I'm James.

Default DM601 S2 upgrade....

I love my DM601 S2s but fancy a bit more bass...

Obviously there’s the 602s and I have eBay searches looking out for a pair of good condition examples.

But is there anything else worth considering around the £200 in the second hand market?

Or maybe even, with a little more cash, new?

Must be stand mounted/ bookshelf.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Utterchaos; 02-03-2018 at 08:20.

I'm Michael.

Well I love my tannoy Mercury V1 speakers around £100 sound lovely with my Denon 350SE amp

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
    I love my DM601 S2s but fancy a bit more bass...

Obviously there’s the 602s and I have eBay searches looking out for a pair of good condition examples.

But is there anything else worth considering around the £200 in the second hand market?

Or maybe even, with a little more cash, new?

Must be stand mounted/ bookshelf.

Thanks all.

Hard to beat the B&W 602 S3 if you can find a good used pair at your price. I had them and they were great.
    Pauls Stuff

Amp and Pre — Air Tight ATM1-S tube amp 36wpc EL34, Linn Akurate Kontrol 2 channel preamp
    Speakers and Analog - Proac Response D Two, Thorens TD160HD with Clearaudio Talismann V2 cart, Clearaudio Basic+ with Accu+ phono preamp
    Digital — Auralic Aries streamer, Cambridge Audio 840C CD
    Rack Isolation - Solid Tech Radius Solo, HRS, Symposium, and Synergisitc Research isolation shelfs.
    Power treatment/cables — Audience AR6TS power conditioner, interconnects and power cables mix of Cardas Golden Reference and Nordost Valhalla.

I'm James.

Thanks guys,

Just built a DM602 mock-up out of a cardboard box... man, they're big for a stand mount - unfortunately the other half was not impressed, they do look a bit out of place in our room.

Oddly, the DM603 seems to be actually smaller than the DM601 when sat on my stands.... so.. how do the DM603 sound? Would it be a significant upgrade?

I'm Mike.

Floorstanders? Ruark Talisman are going for peanuts at the moment, and they were around £1000 new all those years ago.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Phil.

i have the 602 s3 and find they a tiny tiny bit harsh at the top end when pushed hard . using a class A amp . great value though
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm James.

Cheers guys... what about Monitor Audio? Do they compare at all??

Some good condition one on eBay, a pair of GR10s for instance?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Utterchaos View Post
    Thanks guys,

Just built a DM602 mock-up out of a cardboard box... man, they're big for a stand mount - unfortunately the other half was not impressed, they do look a bit out of place in our room.

Oddly, the DM603 seems to be actually smaller than the DM601 when sat on my stands.... so.. how do the DM603 sound? Would it be a significant upgrade?
    I would imagine the 603 is very similar to the 602, with a slightly more extended bass. I have a pair of 603 S1, and apart from the extra bass I decided at the time that I preferred the overall sound of the Monitor Audio R352 that they replaced.

I sill have the B&W's, I have not used them since my grandson poked holes in the tweeters. I'll get round to replacing the tweeters one day.

I'm Macklow.

The 601s are excellent speakers - have you considered a subwoofer - an REL Strata III would be in budget and would certainly address your desire for more bass whilst maintaining proper fidelity. Otherwise you are most likely looking at bigger boxes - if you were able to consider floorstanders, then a pair of Castles (Severn/Avon) would be a wife friendly option and often go for well under your budget - really nice refined speakers that don't seem to attract much interest on eBay and the like

I'm Alex.

I was also going to suggest the addition of a sub, B&W ASW2500 is excellent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast