+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Kab sl1200 spindle thrust plate

  1. #11
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: West Yorkshire

    Posts: 1,448
    I'm Stephen.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead1707 View Post
    Seems a good stuff but up to now no review found.

    "The newly designed KAB SL-1200 thrust plate, arrives just in time as the stock unit's thrust pads are beginning to show signs of wearing out.

    This new thrust plate is made from Teflon filled Delrin - AF . This material has a very low coefficient of friction and our tests show it compares with sapphire. We performed platter run down tests with Stock New, Delrin-AF and Sapphire thrust plates. The Delrin-AF and the Sapphire both recorded 1 minute 55 seconds while the stock thrust plate timed in at 1 minute. (Tests performed with platter magnet removed)

    This new thrust plate features a thicker profile and an oil well for better retention of lubrication. Our new thrust plate will fit all SL-1200's and many other models in the Technics line.

    This is a maintenance part that every SL1200 owner should have. Even if you don't install it now, you will need to eventually because the thin pad of the stock design is going to wear out.

    Price:USD $46.95"



    FWIW and having been down this road if you think you won't be going for a MN/Funk/Ian Mac bearing etc any time soon then the KAB solution is a definite audible improvement over stock at a very reasonable price. If however you view this as a "stepping stone" IMO go straight for a MN/Funk/Ian Mac etc as the sonic improvement is much greater but of course so is the cost.

    Steve
    Always a little further

  2. #12
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Hong Kong

    Posts: 11
    I'm bighead.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    FWIW and having been down this road if you think you won't be going for a MN/Funk/Ian Mac bearing etc any time soon then the KAB solution is a definite audible improvement over stock at a very reasonable price. If however you view this as a "stepping stone" IMO go straight for a MN/Funk/Ian Mac etc as the sonic improvement is much greater but of course so is the cost.

    Steve
    Thanks I'm afraid now only bearings from Funkfirm and soundhifi are available. BTW, is there anyone using soundhifi bearing? Any comment?

  3. #13
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Hong Kong

    Posts: 11
    I'm bighead.

    Default

    Images from ebay seller.




  4. #14
    Join Date: Jul 2017

    Location: Russia

    Posts: 16
    I'm Alexander.

    Default

    Asi I've promised earlier here's some thoughts about installed KAB Delrin-AF Thrust Plate on my Technics SL-1210Mk2. Some days ago I've installed it and listen what it is... First and main thing is the massive bottom end appears in a tight and deep bass. Also I hear clearer and crisper highs now. And I think the volume now is louder than before... Here it is.
    Technics SL-1210 Mk2 (Cardas Litz Rewired) +KAB PS-1200GX Power Supply +KAB Delrin-AF Thrust Plate +KAB TD-1200 Fluid Damper +Klotz MC5000 Phono Cable +Hana SL +Audio-Technica LT13s +Cardas 33 AWG PCCE BAC / Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH (25 dB) / Sander'Z MM Tube Phono Stage (Mullard CV4004) / VdH Mainsserver / Audient iD14 USB / Atlas Element A-B USB / Rotel RA-1520 / VdH Mainsstream / Klotz MC5000+VdH The Second / Flux-Sonic Stylus Cleaner / Okki Nokki RCM II / ProAc Tablette 2000 / Atacama 6i Stands

  5. #15
    Join Date: Mar 2018

    Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

    Posts: 8
    I'm Gary.

    Default

    I bought one of these from the UK eBay seller. Fitted it with the wax earlier in the week and am very pleased with it. Biggest change I noticed is that the stereo spread seems much wider now. It's very reasonably priced - important fro me as I'm doing this on a budget!

  6. #16
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 4,176
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead1707 View Post
    Seems a good stuff but up to now no review found.

    "The newly designed KAB SL-1200 thrust plate, arrives just in time as the stock unit's thrust pads are beginning to show signs of wearing out.

    This new thrust plate is made from Teflon filled Delrin - AF . This material has a very low coefficient of friction and our tests show it compares with sapphire. We performed platter run down tests with Stock New, Delrin-AF and Sapphire thrust plates. The Delrin-AF and the Sapphire both recorded 1 minute 55 seconds while the stock thrust plate timed in at 1 minute. (Tests performed with platter magnet removed)

    This new thrust plate features a thicker profile and an oil well for better retention of lubrication. Our new thrust plate will fit all SL-1200's and many other models in the Technics line.

    This is a maintenance part that every SL1200 owner should have. Even if you don't install it now, you will need to eventually because the thin pad of the stock design is going to wear out.

    Price:USD $46.95"



    The stock design will wear out?

    While I don't doubt that this will improve the performance! I have something similar myself, but I must question that statement, because I've seen an original early 80s thrust plate and I still have the stock thrust plate from my SL-QL1 (1982) which got upgraded and both are still well within tolerance.
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

  7. #17
    Join Date: Jul 2016

    Location: Birmingham, Alabama

    Posts: 17
    I'm David.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gagaryn View Post
    I bought one of these from the UK eBay seller. Fitted it with the wax earlier in the week and am very pleased with it. Biggest change I noticed is that the stereo spread seems much wider now. It's very reasonably priced - important fro me as I'm doing this on a budget!
    I am planning to get one when I return from vacation in a couple of weeks.

    I was thinking of trying plumbers putty under the bearing instead of wax. It is easily removable if it doesn't work.

    Thoughts?

  8. #18
    Join Date: Mar 2018

    Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

    Posts: 8
    I'm Gary.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyto View Post
    I am planning to get one when I return from vacation in a couple of weeks.

    I was thinking of trying plumbers putty under the bearing instead of wax. It is easily removable if it doesn't work.

    Thoughts?
    Dunno, I used the wax because it came with it. Can't imagine much difference using the putty.

  9. #19
    Join Date: Oct 2014

    Location: East Coast USA

    Posts: 95
    I'm Nathan.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyto View Post
    I was thinking of trying plumbers putty under the bearing instead of wax. It is easily removable if it doesn't work.

    Thoughts?
    Does the plumbers putty give a rigid connection between the bearing and the chassis? I would think a solid connection that the wax gives is what gives the improvement.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

  10. #20
    Join Date: Nov 2016

    Location: North East England

    Posts: 446
    I'm Mick.

    Default

    I have been using one of these for a few weeks now and all seems good. I tried it with and without the wax and to be honest I dont really know if it made a difference. Sound wise with the thrust plate it appears to have enhanced the bass levels and added a sort of depth to the music. I like the idea of the deep plate as it has an oil well so it wont run dry over time.

    It has done something and for the price not a bad little mod.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet and boots, Kab main bearing upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, Timestep HE III External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Angle Audiophile Reference 2 Battery Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •