+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics 1200 and Rega 301

I'm invisible.

Default Technics 1200 and Rega 301

Just bought a 1200 in what I would call VG condition. I also have a new Rega 301 arm lying around from an earlier project that I have since scrapped. I was wondering if its worth fitting the 301 to my 1200. I see lots of recommendations for the likes of Jelcos and SME but the Rega doesnt seem to figure.
    I would welcome your comments. Thanks in advance.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Ray,

Welcome to AOS

The 301 is a good arm, although it's not one I would normally recommend to use with an SL-1200, basically because their respective 'sonic signatures' can clash.

The operative word though is "can", as that effect is not always guaranteed, and as you've already got a brand new 301, it makes sense to use it and choose a cartridge that will work well in this situation

Have you thought yet about cartridges, and if so, what's your budget? Also what is the rest if your system?

Once I know these details, I can help further.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm invisible.

Thanks for the reply Marco. I have updated my sig to show my system. I also have a Goldring 2100 cart which I intend to fit. Not planning on spending anything for a while. I supose the question is should I expect an improvement with the 301 over the stock arm.

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It should be fine, but don't be surprised if the stock Technics arm is just as good with a moving magnet design, such as the Goldring...

If you want to make more of the 301, a Denon DL-110 (or DL-160), AT33PTG or Lyra Dorian would be a better bet, but I guess it all boils down to budget

An option you have is to sell the Rega, which you'd get decent money for, and the Goldring, and buy something like a Jelco SA-250 and (if you can afford it) an AT33PTG, which ultimately would be a better synergistic match with your SL-1200.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

i dont want to kiss marcos arse to much, but there are a lot of happy 1210 onwers that have followed his and the advice of others with similar levels of experience in this area.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm invisible.

Thanks again for the replies. Marco, I have taken on board what you have said and maybe a Denon will be my next purchase. The AT is not available in the UK it seems (although they are available on ebay from Japan) and the Lyra, although very nice is beyond me at the moment.
    Hamish, if cuddling up to Marco does it for you then thats cool... Thanks for your response.

Main System :

Ray.

I'm David.

Ha! Cheeky swine!
    "Cuddling up" to people on this site has done me proud over the last year, so if "cuddling" is what it's called then a "cuddler" I am!
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 10-03-2010 at 08:41.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm invisible.

Hamish...I wasnt trying to be offensive, I just thought it was funny......

Main System :

Ray.

I'm David.

Yeah, it's cool, I thought my reply seemed jokey too... All good! Forums are shit sometimes eh?
    Il insert a smily for you to take the edge off....

I'm David.

.... How's that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast