+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the point of speaker stands?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You need them to get the things at the right height, agreed. A couple of three legged stools will do that. The idea that you need 2 grand (or more) worth of specially designed 'speaker-floor interfaces' is the bit that is bollocks.
    No, you don't need to spend fortunes on such things, that's for sure, but most stands I've used perform more optimally with speakers, from a sonic point of view, than stools.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Andrew.

I once made some stands for a massive pair of speakers (by stand-mount standards) and incorporated isolation based on a system of springs. Yes, I thought they made a big improvement. However, they did provide some isolation due to the spring system. The majority of speaker stands don't. Townsend Seismic things are a notable exception, as are any stands which use spongy pads at the speaker/stand interface, but most stands are little more than tall/small tables in my opinion.

Yup, sure - and as you say, so designed they can be very effective! Another product, designed on rather different principles, but equally as effective and sonically beneficial, are those from Mana (though now long discontinued).

However, even a basic pair of speaker stands, as long as they're rigidly constructed, are better than no stands, for use with non-floor standing speakers. Now, ask me about the supplied spikes being supposedly 'mandatory', and you might get another answer

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Mark.

Speaker stands can make or break the performance of a speaker. The idea that all they have to do is raise the speakers to the right hight really is bollocks - the sort of utter bollocks spouted on the Harbeth forum (for example).

100% Analogue

I completely agree Mark, and YEARS of experience in that area backs it up

There's a danger sometimes in hi-fi, with people of a certain mindset, automatically dismissing as "foo" anything that doesn't neatly 'fit' with their belief system, and it annoys me immensely because it stifles genuine learning!

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Paul.

From experience I know that speaker stands can make a huge difference. My stands originally had steel baseplates that allowed the stands to sway a little. Never was happy with how the speakers sounded. I changed the steel baseplates for beachwood bases that solved the swaying issue and it sounded like I had bought a new set of speakers. A while back I experimented with some silicone pucks under the bases and they seemed to suck the life from the speakers and ruined the imaging. Changed back to some metal adjustable feet that coupled the stands direct to my concrete floor overlaid with solid oak. Again a huge change for the better. Added some hard coupling between the stands and the actual speakers, another change for the better.

You really do need to get the stands and how they connect with the floor and the speakers right. However, I do agree there is a lot of foo out there as to howmit all works.
    ~Paul~

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    You really do need to get the stands and how they connect with the floor and the speakers right.
    Precisely, Paul, as indeed the experience you've shared ably proves.

Marco.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Speaker stands can make or break the performance of a speaker. The idea that all they have to do is raise the speakers to the right hight really is bollocks - the sort of utter bollocks spouted on the Harbeth forum (for example).
    Without being too technical, can you tell me how? I used to have a pair of Epos ES11 that came with their own stands, they were very sturdy, as they had 4 protruding feet which provided a larger area to rest on, larger than the top of the stand that is.
    Current system. TT - NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Ortofon Blue - Nakamichi CA-5 (as phono stage). Streaming - Pioneer N-50K. CD Player - Pioneer PD 8700. Naim Nait 5 - Ruark Talisman II.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for replies, I wasn't being intentionally luddite, as I've bought these new (to me) speakers, I want to make sure they perform at peak (or close to) level. They are rather small though - 305 x 165 x 180 mm, so I'm guessing they might need non standard stands.
    At the most basic level I guess it makes sense to be able to move the speakers around to find optimum listening position.
    Current system. TT - NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Ortofon Blue - Nakamichi CA-5 (as phono stage). Streaming - Pioneer N-50K. CD Player - Pioneer PD 8700. Naim Nait 5 - Ruark Talisman II.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try a pair of stands designed for Linn Kan or LS3/5a speakers. Should be about right.
    As I said.

If you ask on Private Exhibitions, I'll bet somebody has something to suit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast