+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Whats the point of speaker stands?

I'm Dennis.

My ESS Heil + Rogers mid/woof have a passive pointing towards the rear wall, and it does not seem problematic, in fact people comment on the good bass.

I also designed a small pair of speakers for an ex girlfriend using modified Denton boxes and Panasonic drivers which had a rear firing port, and which also worked well.

I'm Geoff.

I remember in the seventies, the Goodmans Dimension 8 speaker being demonstrated fairly close to rear walls and that had a large rear facing ABR. Having said that, I don't like rear ports or drivers, they just don't seem to sound right to me. Why do it in the first place? There's no need unless the front baffle space precludes it.

I'm Martin.

The idea with rear port is you are less likely to hear it 'chuffing'. Although I've never noticed this to be a problem on the dozens of front ported speakers I've owned and heard.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Jerry.

Floorstanders are a lot more expensive than standmounts for the same basic sound quality.
    Cabinets are generally the most expensive part of a speaker - a smaller cabinet is much cheaper.
    If you don't want or are prepared to sacrifice that extra octave of deep bass then a standmount makes sense in terms of sound/.

On the other hand, speaker stands can be expensive, too!
    Jerry

Qobuz 16/44 streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

Headphones: Fostex TH600, Audeze EL-8, Wharfedale Isodynamic, Philips Fidelio X2
    Headphone amp: Rotel RX-603

I'm Dave.

Floor standers don't necessarily give better bass than a stand mount. Very often, the floor stander uses a squitty little bass/mid driver in a narrow box and that doesn't give better bass than a decent stand mount. Just ask any owner of a large, stand mount Tannoy, JBL, ATC, Harbeth if they are short of bass.

Not only that but many floor standers are just a stand mount design with the bottom part of the cabinet sealed off from the top unit with the drivers.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exactly - and for that reason (among others) I'm not overly keen on 'tall and slim'-type floor-standing designs. I like some GIRTH, and that means nice fat-ass baffles, housing drive units much bigger than those found in the WAF-controlled home of your average pee-soaked weeny boy!

In general, I'd take a quality, large stand-mounted speaker, over most floor-standers; certainly the conventional variety, which for me offer too many compromises.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Shaun.

I've just sold our B&W CM8 S2's in preference for a pair of discontinued Spendor S3/5R2's due to the room we shall soon be sharing with our music hobby with. I will be really interested in how they compare with the floorstanding B&W's. Back in the early/mid nineties I used many different small standmount speakers with my favourites being QLN Mk 1's. I cannot wait to get moved and get everything set up.

Our aim is to focus on midrange/vocals with a nice warm rendition. Slightly tired of impressive and tiring sounding speakers.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jo

Did you see this post below from earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jo,

Yup, some form of (spiked) flat platforms I've found are best, which are wide and deep enough to support the full dimensions of the Lockwoods. This is what I use and what you're looking for (should show on the middle of the screen):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=...KGmv0Sl4ZsKIM:

And use them so that their widest parts are positioned horizontally, to successfully support the full width of your speakers.

If you can find a pair of Mana amp stands (for a Krell amplifier), such as the above, then those would be spot on, as they're both fully adjustable (you can raise or lower the boards, via use of the supplied spikes) in order to get the speakers bang on level [yes, this does make a difference to how they sound], also get the tweeters bang on ear height from your listening position, to achieve the desirable 'sweet spot', and provide the speakers with a nicely firm foundation from which to perform optimally.

Essentially what you're doing is replacing the floor in your room with a better 'floor' [one that is 100% level and rigid] for your speakers to sit on. This is especially critical (and sonically beneficial) if like me you're using the Lockies on an upstairs suspended wooden floor, although I know that doesn't apply in your case.

The difference this makes to tightening up the bass response, opening up the midrange, improving control of reproduced frequencies in all areas and allowing you to play music louder, and more comfortably (as the speakers will no longer 'sing along with the room' to the same extent) is significant!

If you can't find any such stands then it's a case of having something made to your spec at a local metal fabricator, who would build the outside spiked frames necessary, then it's simply a case of popping some (very) thick pieces of MDF board on top, levelling the whole shebang - and Bob's yer aunty...

If you need the dimensions, or any other info for the stands, just let me know

Marco.
    Let me now, cheers!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I've just sold our B&W CM8 S2's in preference for a pair of discontinued Spendor S3/5R2's due to the room we shall soon be sharing with our music hobby with. I will be really interested in how they compare with the floorstanding B&W's. Back in the early/mid nineties I used many different small standmount speakers with my favourites being QLN Mk 1's. I cannot wait to get moved and get everything set up.

Our aim is to focus on midrange/vocals with a nice warm rendition. Slightly tired of impressive and tiring sounding speakers.
    ive found full range speakers best for female vocals. no real idea why but they can sound devine
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10, AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS, TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Josie.

Hi Marco.

Blimey, not sure how I missed that. Thanks very much. Very helpful.

Yes, I remember putting my Lancasters on stands, a huge difference. Thing is, it never crossed my mind in my new room with the Majors until I slumped in my seat. LOL When I do the sound becomes much more solid. I them remembered that my previous Lockwood cabinets were higher as they had a front reflex.

I'm currently designing some stands which look great at the moment. I may post a few pics in the DIY section. So long as they are strong and very sturdy everything should be fine.

The Mana stands are quite hard to find nowadays unfortunately but I have the option (which you suggested) to find someone to make something similar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast