+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the halfway position on tone controls actually the 'flat' setting?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You've got that a little wrong Dennis, the tilt is applied to both channels. A very effective system to give a small change in presentation.
    Exactly that and easily the most usable tone control implementation that I have used or know of.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Dennis.

I've never had or even used one, so were they just normal boost/cut controls then?
    (What was tilted?)

I'm Alan.

No, normal tone controls work on the extremities of the frequency range, the Quad tilt control affects the whole bandwidth by making the response slightly uphill or slightly downhill as it were.

It can very effectively tame a bright sounding or bottom heavy system.

I'm Dennis.

Last night I looked up several pages on the 34, and they were vague about what the tilt control does, and even the manual was.
    But it seems that the tilt literally boosts or cuts bass in one channel whilst doing the reverse in the other with the treble, thus presenting either a downhill or uphill slope from left to right, 20 to 20k.

My difficulty is not in understanding Baxandall circuits, which I have built and used since the 60s, but what the tilt control actually does to the frequency responses of each channel, this largely because it seems that no one can explain it in clear English, even in manuals.

I'm gone.

Quad 34 tilt control action ...

I'm gone.

Back to the OP.

I recall some tests done by a hifi mag back in the day showing that even at the 'flat' position there was some bumpiness to the FR of the amp under test, it was never possible to get them completely out of circuit except if the amp had a bypass button.

I'm Dave.

A non flat response is the reason for a bypass switch or button.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Tone controls are a bit of a funny one. If you have a tone defeat you can usually tell that the tone circuit has a detrimental effects. However, overall the tone corrections can be less detrimental that the effect of the room, which can pften be the worst offender.
    There were never truer words!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    No, normal tone controls work on the extremities of the frequency range, the Quad tilt control affects the whole bandwidth by making the response slightly uphill or slightly downhill as it were.

It can very effectively tame a bright sounding or bottom heavy system.
    It would make no sense if the tilt control adjustment was not applied to both channels equally. Who would want to brighten the left channel while boosting the lows of the right channel? I have always believed that the Quad tilt control is used to adjust the character of the whole system. Very useful when matching a particular set of speakers to a system or room, but only to be used with subtlety. Not to be used in lieu of conventional tone controls. This is what I was told by Quad.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12