Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOTFIRE new interconnect review

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Had a bit of a listen last night.
    Hmm - well.
    Expectations exceeded.
    Bugger!

It initiated a bout of frantic cable swapping amongst my collection to see if I could close the gap.

It's a bit strange how cables you have moved on from sometimes still have the magic that initially entranced you when you go back to them after a while.
    --- Wireworld Oasis, now why did I move on from those? Very nice!
    But I have to admit that the focussed transparency of the Spotfire is a hard act to equal.
    It's the image focus that immediately got my attention, most cables are rather fuzzy and vague in comparison. That was a bit of a shock.

I think the sound may be a bit stark for me, maybe a bit of tonal thinness that might or might not prove too much in the longer term. Or maybe that is just superior transparency? There is a lot more listening to do, over a much wider range of material, but these are simply way ahead of what I was expecting!
    To wrap up my listening thoughts ...

They aren't harsh, just transparent. Not thin or stark sounding, either.
    The tonality sounds right. The bass is well defined and I don't hear any loss of bass power reported by some.

It took me a while to get my head round what they actually do, compared to my excellent IXOS Ixotica cables (something like £300-400 a pair when new, I think).

What they do is move you forward a few rows in the concert hall.
    The IXOS place me about 12-15 rows back from the front of the front stalls.
    The SPOTFIRE move me to about 3 or 4 rows from the front.

So they are more immediate sounding, slightly increased detail, immediacy and transparency. Less of a cushion of air between me and the performers.
    Imaging-wise, the SPOTFIRE are a bit more focussed and with more clearly defined soundstage placement. Just what you'd expect from moving nearer the concert platform.

The IXOS place me quite close to the music, the SPOTFIRE put me even closer.
    Where do I want to be?
    Well, tbh, I still really like the IXOS and I suspect the SPOTFIRE place me a little too close for comfort some of the time.
    On the other hand it would be nice to have the option of choosing!

Either way, the SPOTFIRE are a really excellent, genuinely high end cable imo. Whether or not they tick your own specific boxes only you can decide!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    To wrap up my listening thoughts ...

They aren't harsh, just transparent. Not thin or stark sounding, either.
    The tonality sounds right. The bass is well defined and I don't hear any loss of bass power reported by some.

It took me a while to get my head round what they actually do, compared to my excellent IXOS Ixotica cables (something like £300-400 a pair when new, I think).

What they do is move you forward a few rows in the concert hall.
    The IXOS place me about 12-15 rows back from the front of the front stalls.
    The SPOTFIRE move me to about 3 or 4 rows from the front.

So they are more immediate sounding, slightly increased detail, immediacy and transparency. Less of a cushion of air between me and the performers.
    Imaging-wise, the SPOTFIRE are a bit more focussed and with more clearly defined soundstage placement. Just what you'd expect from moving nearer the concert platform.

The IXOS place me quite close to the music, the SPOTFIRE put me even closer.
    Where do I want to be?
    Well, tbh, I still really like the IXOS and I suspect the SPOTFIRE place me a little too close for comfort some of the time.
    On the other hand it would be nice to have the option of choosing!

Either way, the SPOTFIRE are a really excellent, genuinely high end cable imo. Whether or not they tick your own specific boxes only you can decide!
    Jerry,

Thanks for including the details of the cable you put the SPOTFIRE in against and thanks for taking the time to listen and critique the cables. I'm very pleased with the feedback you've given.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Jerry,

Thanks for including the details of the cable you put the SPOTFIRE in against and thanks for taking the time to listen and critique the cables. I'm very pleased with the feedback you've given.
    For context, there was a FS thread back in January featuring the IXOS cables I have. Several folks expressed opinions, so that gives a bit of a framework for my views on the comparison with the SPOTFIRE cables.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...xos-ixotica-1m

I'm Lee.

Cables are with now could Edwardlon PM me his postal details please as he is next on the list
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    Cables are with now could Edwardlon PM me his postal details please as he is next on the list
    Sent PM Lee.

cheers
    Edward
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Good stuff.

I'm Lee.

Just a little update with these cables, these cables are a really nice cable and anyone looking for a new interconnect should really give these a go. I've compared them to other cables that I have and in my system these seem to perform at their best in my digital setup. I have tried them against my Albedo Blue Silver cables and my original Western Electric tinned copper cables in the analogue setup, and although these dont do anything wrong at all I prefer the sound of my existing cables.

As and when I am ready to purchase some new cables for my digital system then I would definitely consider these cables.

All in all a really nice cable that gets out the way and lets the music flow

A big thumbs up to Oliver

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

Bigman80 Guest

Just a little update with these cables, these cables are a really nice cable and anyone looking for a new interconnect should really give these a go. I've compared them to other cables that I have and in my system these seem to perform at their best in my digital setup. I have tried them against my Albedo Blue Silver cables and my original Western Electric tinned copper cables in the analogue setup, and although these dont do anything wrong at all I prefer the sound of my existing cables.

As and when I am ready to purchase some new cables for my digital system then I would definitely consider these cables.

All in all a really nice cable that gets out the way and lets the music flow

A big thumbs up to Oliver

Lee
    Thanks Lee, are these on the move again now?

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks Lee, are these on the move again now?
    Hi

Lee kindly sent them to me. Arrived yesterday (thanks Lee).

Will give them a good go over next couple of days and report back.

Really looks professional!

Ed

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Ed, you sound surprised

Looking forward to the results

Oliver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Hi

Lee kindly sent them to me. Arrived yesterday (thanks Lee).

Will give them a good go over next couple of days and report back.

Really looks professional!

Ed

Via Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast